Sleeping bags and quilts Vs damp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Colin06

Dec 24, 2021
Antibes, France
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I wondered what others do to keep their sleeping bags/quilts from absorbing the damp from heavy, persistant rain or from mist? Especially those who use hammocks
Thanks in advance for any advice, Colin

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
A Goretex bivvy bag or something similar.

Used German army.
Used Dutch army M90.
New Snugpak Special Forces.
New Carinthia Sleeping bag cover.
Would work in a hammock due to the central entrance.

Otherwise on the ground you can use a British army bivvy bag of course, but I am a bit unsure if that will work well in combination with a hammock.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I have a simple thin Rab bivy bag that I use to protect my sleeping bag when needed.

I've never had an issue in the hammock though. I tend to fluff up the bag and leave it to air out (in the hanmock) while I get ready, have breakfast etc and that seems to be enough.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
I always go for the good old British army goretex bivvy bag. Yes, it's bulky and heavy, but it keeps your doss bag dry, it's breathable, it's not delicate and if gives you another half a season or so of warmth in my experience.

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I wondered what others do to keep their sleeping bags/quilts from absorbing the damp from heavy, persistant rain or from mist? Especially those who use hammocks
Thanks in advance for any advice, Colin
Hammock - bring the tarp down and the hammock high so when you get it you are close to the tarp. Use a large hammock tarp rather than a square one on the diagonal.
In a hammock you’ll struggle to use a bivvy bag and find getting into it a right faff.

Reactions: henchy3rd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE