Sleeping Bag style quilt/duvets ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Are there any UK based makers of synthetic or down quilt/duvet type blankets?

I know Snugpak do a little blanket type thing but I'm looking for something larger , warmer , more bed size to use in a camper van but can then be packed down small into a sack until needed again ( as opposed to having a big duvet taking up space )

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I was just going to ask the same thing!

I’ve got some jungle blankets and some large fleece blankets that I were considering, but not sure they’ll be warm enough, plus the jungle blankets are experts at slithering off you if you’re not lying on top of half of it.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I was just going to ask the same thing!

I’ve got some jungle blankets and some large fleece blankets that I were considering, but not sure they’ll be warm enough, plus the jungle blankets are experts at slithering off you if you’re not lying on top of half of it.

I would have thought this was a thing?

If not I wonder how difficult it would be to source and make one ourselves.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Backpackinglight UK make a heat reflective quilt cover that is designed to retain the sleeping pad too. It’s really a shell for something else but can work alone.

They also sell the raw materials.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Where is my sewing machine??
That is indeed the answer to many problems.

I bought Pearl from a charity shop about ten years ago. She was made in 1935 and is hand cranked, which means she’s slow enough for me, and an archetypal “well oiled machine”.

My old Snugpack is slowly losing its insulating powers despite being stored unpacked so I’m about to make a quilted outer sack. I have the advantage of a wife who is an expert quilter and while she knows I want to to do this myself, will offer assistance.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I would have thought this was a thing?

If not I wonder how difficult it would be to source and make one ourselves.
Oh, it very much is, but not at a price range that I’m comfortable with. I mean I do have nice down sleeping bags that could be used, or I could just bring our normal duvet, but it would be great to have something that could live in the van. Also, I need something to go underneath to protect the bed as well (and make it more comfortable against the skin).

ETA: You can even get single and double bedrolls (best description I can think of) aimed for the more affluent van/comfortable camping crew. But again, a bit more than I’d like to pay and they look quite bulky as well.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Are there any UK based makers of synthetic or down quilt/duvet type blankets?

I know Snugpak do a little blanket type thing but I'm looking for something larger , warmer , more bed size to use in a camper van but can then be packed down small into a sack until needed again ( as opposed to having a big duvet taking up space )
You have to be careful how you store it as it should be in a loose bag or even hung up in your cupboard when not needed to stop long term compression damage to the loft of the duvet.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
This is true. I used to store my ex BA sleeping bag as tight into its compression sack as I could get it. An old soldier told me that they are stored on hooks before issue.
(He also said there was a manual for the system (type 98?) but I’ve never found it.)

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
Have a look at the Sea to Summit Traveller series of quilt/sleeping bags for inspiration.
I have a couple of these and they work quite well; but I consider the Tr 2 version massively underfilled because the baffles are a full 50mm deep. I had my Tr2 topped up with an extra 100 grams of down a few years ago and I should have had added at least an extra 200 grams. My beloved wife uses it as a blanket but it comes in both a Regular and a Large size. The Large is just big enough to partially close the zipper and tighten the foot up and will layer over most sleeping bags.

However not made in the UK, made in China at the moment.
They do not handle moisture well when used as an overbag in cold soggy weather which is why I am looking for a LW synthetic option and DIY to keep my costs down.
Sewing up a boxed foot is easy tho and a good way to stop the topper from sliding off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE