sleeping bag liners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I currently use a snugpak ts1 liner, gt'gp lovely and warm, but very bulky and relatively heavy. I'm pondering the idea of replacing it with a silk liner, specificaly the sea to summit one. How does silk compare in terms of warmth? Are they warm enough to use on their own in the summer?

Cheers

Julia

bearbait

I use a Rab hooded silk liner. Very pleased with it. Squishes down smaller than my fist and is light. Dries fast when washed too.

I do use it alone but depends how hot/which country the summer is in. I tend to drag a bit of sleeping bag over me in the cooler part of the night if necessary. Maybe you could substitute some warm clothing over you if you didn't want to carry a bag?

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Snugpak's Thermalon liner is very good IMO. A 6' tube of brushed, knitted polyester, sewn up at one end with a drawstring at the other. Packs down to about a 500ml beer can size. Hugs the body.

I don't care for the ordinary silk liners but after wearing silk thermals, I do fancy a knitted silk liner. Last time I looked up silk jersey it was frightening. :(

Last edited:

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Snugpak silk liner here Q; use it as a gonk bag liner to limit washes of bag in the main, especially down. Used on its own in the tropics; last time was the Philippines to limit sticking to the mattress! In the UK through the summer, I'd never consider it without a summer bag - no thermal value on its own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
I'm dreaming of the merino one cause it never seems to be warm enough for me. It's just a wee bit too steep to just pick it up for occasional use.

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
After looking around, it dawned to me, how hard can it be to make one? Even with a zipper, easier without, but still. Must find fabric in light weight wool, usually they come 150cm wide, so get 2m and a bit of sewing and one has a 75cm wide bag. Could get as cheap as 10 euro in 100% wool if I can live with "old man pants" look :D

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
After looking around, it dawned to me, how hard can it be to make one? Even with a zipper, easier without, but still. Must find fabric in light weight wool, usually they come 150cm wide, so get 2m and a bit of sewing and one has a 75cm wide bag. Could get as cheap as 10 euro in 100% wool if I can live with "old man pants" look :D
It's not at all difficult to make a liner, and if you look for wool jersey fabric it may well come in tubular form which would reduce the amount of sewing required.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE