Sleeping bag liner, is it worth it.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I know there is more than one thread on sleeping bag liners but I think I have a different dilema.

I have just invested in rab down bags and now thinking about accessories... After quite a few nights of googling I came to the conclusion that both benefits of liners: extra warmth (fleece, sea to summit reactor, etc) and hygene (silk, cotton) can be replaced by your clothing.
Am I right?
So far I only had contact with lifeventure cotton rectangular liner and after trying it once I got fed up with wriggling in and out of it. I have no problem with sleeping in clothes, actually I like to be ready for the chilly morning. So am I right thinking that a fresh set of baselayers would keep your bag cleaner just like silk, and a fleece top would add warmth when needed.

I would rather allocate the money and weight in to a decent sleeping mat.

Save me from the depth of doubt...

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
There are some on here who will say sleeping sky clad is warmer than clothed. Personally I respect the laws of physics and disagree. However on hygiene and warmth grounds fresh clothes would serve the purpose. Just not what you've been wearing all day. As these could be both sweaty and dirty.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I have a sea to summit reactor and really rate them. I particularly like how stretchy they are so you dont feel constrained. Now im hammocking more though it doesnt get used as much. Tried to stay on topic but its hard on this subject lol so........

I actually never change for bed, i wear the base layer ive worn during the day on the basis its dry from body heat in the evening before bed. The last thing i want to do is get naked and change before i get into bed and lose the warmth that will heat my bag up.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Probbably if you put too much you will squeeze the loft out of insulation, especially with down bag.
But mine is roomy enough plus I have tested more than once during the Moot: wake up cold, put fleece and trousers on, sleep ok till morning.

I'm trying to streamline and simplify my gear and liners would clutter my sleeping system. Not to mention the fact that a decent silk liner cost almost as much as a professional cleaning for your SB.

My routine is to wash/change before going to bed so I'm ready in the morning. Maybe I'll invest in a set of "pajama" base layers only for the night. What do you think?

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Each to his own:)

I use baby wipes or a dry wash system but then most of my trips are winter. I agree though that its more clutter you probably dont need. You got me thinking now. Looks like need to sell my reactor lol

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm not a fan of liners but I do use them in my better bags, mainly for hygiene as it's easier to clean a liner than a down bag.

They're useful for adding warmth but I tend to pick the right bag for the weather.

They take some getting used to, the larger ones do my head in as they end up wrapping around my legs, I've found the smaller mummy shaped silk liners work best for me, weigh very little and pack to the size of a tennis ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurence Milton

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'm trying to streamline and simplify my gear and liners would clutter my sleeping system. Not to mention the fact that a decent silk liner cost almost as much as a professional cleaning for your SB

On your last point, you will still have the liner after the event for re-use many, many years into the future; having your sleeping bag cleaned is a one-off job.

If you wash before bed, then your idea of putting on a clean set of clothes/pyjamas would work fine. However, if you are trying to trim the amount of gear you take, I think you'll find that a silk liner will weigh less and take up considerably less room than a change of clothes or a set of thermals.

It can seem a bit of a pain wriggling into your liner at the end of a day, particularly so if using a hammock. I find it actually not that bad. Stand on the ground and pull up the liner around me before sitting on the edge of the hammock and swinging my legs into the sleeping bag. I find the inconvenience -such as it is - comes from trying to get into the sleeping bag itself!

The liner certainly does help to keep your sleeping bag a bit cleaner than if you were in contact with it directly which means that it does its job more efficiently for longer. However, there is no 'one way' to sort your sleeping arrangements; you've got to find something that's useful and practicable for you but it sounds as though your washing-before-bed routine along with a clean set of sleeping kit should work perfectly well.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i like to do whatever makes me sleep and relax best, and i sleep best in just the sleeping bag wearing nothing at all, i can't stand liners and i take a down sleeping bag warm enough wearing no clothing, a good nights sleep is important so i do what makes me sleep best.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
On your last point, you will still have the liner after the event for re-use many, many years into the future; having your sleeping bag cleaned is a one-off job.

If you wash before bed, then your idea of putting on a clean set of clothes/pyjamas would work fine. However, if you are trying to trim the amount of gear you take, I think you'll find that a silk liner will weigh less and take up considerably less room than a change of clothes or a set of thermals.

It can seem a bit of a pain wriggling into your liner at the end of a day, particularly so if using a hammock. I find it actually not that bad. Stand on the ground and pull up the liner around me before sitting on the edge of the hammock and swinging my legs into the sleeping bag. I find the inconvenience -such as it is - comes from trying to get into the sleeping bag itself!

The liner certainly does help to keep your sleeping bag a bit cleaner than if you were in contact with it directly which means that it does its job more efficiently for longer. However, there is no 'one way' to sort your sleeping arrangements; you've got to find something that's useful and practicable for you but it sounds as though your washing-before-bed routine along with a clean set of sleeping kit should work perfectly well.

I just dont but the liner stops you bag getting soiled. Sure it will stop contact mess but the body acts as a heat pump pushing all moisture generated by the body through the liner and into the bag. If fact in certain conditions the liner may inhibit the passage of moisture through the bag trapping it in the insulation. Grease, moisture and impurities from sweat is what de lofts a bag so therefore a breathable silk liner serves absolutely no purpose other than adding warmth

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My silk liners get very little use these days. They do keep bags cleaner and do add significant warmth but I sleep in my clothes or base layers now, I prefer to embrace the funk than struggle into the liners in the hammock. Pee visits and getting up in the morning are so much easier as I use my sleeping bag as a quilt most of the time, if I'm not using my quilt.

Cotton liners suck IME, too grippy and difficult to get into. They wrap around my legs at night too. Pertex 4 or silk is miles better. My favourite is the Sea to Summit rectangular. I've got lifeventure, Sea to Summit mummy, Blacks and Pertex

I'd like to think I'd spend the money on a better bag, but obviously I bought both. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
I also am a fan of my silk liner used either with a Rab Alpine 600 down bag in winter or a Nanok Woodlore Eagle with top zip at other times of the year which makes bag entry easy. I don't like sleeping with clothes on due to above mentioned reasons. I am yet to try out the silk liner with Buffalo special six shirt and trousers with bivi socks combination which may also serve well.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I keep a separate base layer for sleeping. I don't like sleeping nekkid in case of emergency exits, and I don't like sleeping in my day clothes. I also carry a liner, but I keep that in case of cold. Seldom use it, but it's a comfort to know there's an 11 on my coziness amp if needed.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Thank you for your voice. I have been using budget synthetic sleeping bags for the last 20 years and as I'm switching to down I'm trying to avoid going crazy. As long as skipping a liner is not a crime and I won't damage my rab ascent 500/900 than I'll stick to my habits.
Joonsy's and Teepee's point of view about avoiding the hassle really speaks to me. Also I had another thought, am I right thinking that SB rating assumes you are wearing thermals?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sleeping with little or no clothes on lets body heat hit the bag quicker than when wearing clothes which need heating before the bag can start to do its job. If your sleeping bag is good for the conditions you really don't need to wear much at all. Standard army Arctic bag does for me in the UK, tee shirt, shorts and a pee bottle see me toastie for the night even when I was winter camping. I find the thought of sleeping in more than minimal clothing absolutely abhorrent to be honest.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
...a breathable silk liner serves absolutely no purpose other than adding warmth

...and comfort - a vitally important ingredient in the process of getting a good night's sleep. Personally, I'm not a great fan of the feel of the synthetic fabrics they use in sleeping bags against my skin.

I do take your point about the liner acting as a barrier to filth and grime. It did always strike me as a little optimistic that a simple liner would fulfil that role along with the others claimed for it.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have found that my Sea to Summit silk liners do add a bit more warmth but I get wrapped up in them, which is a pain when nature calls

jellyfinger

Oct 1, 2013
United Kingdom
I have used a snugpak liner and found it too annoying as it ends up twisting but that's probably down to me moving too much but it did add more warmth than I expected it to despite it's pack size and weight.

If it's cold now tend to use a poncho liner as an additional warm layer. It doesn't pack as small but can be used as a blanket for warm nights.

Last edited:

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
I have used silk liners before but found two problems, first they twist and tangle during the night making quick get ups for any reason a chore. Second they add very little heat to the bag, often they are reviewed adding 5c or even more, I think this is total rubbish and just comes down to most folk not wanting to admit they just shelled out £70+ for something that is not the wonder material it's marketed as. I then tried a micro fleece liner, this solved the heat issue but brought back the same tangle problem.

Now I carry a set of light weight (160g) micro fleece base layer, they cost me a fraction of the silk liners, add far more heat if needed, don't tangle and double up as a thermal layer during the day should it be required. The only downside being they obviously don't pack as small or light, but the difference is so small compared to the total benefits that it becomes a small price to pay.

If you don't care about getting twisted during the night go for a light micro fleece liner, but leave the silk liners for the purpose they were designed for which is an extra sheet in tropical hotels.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have used silk liners before but found two problems, first they twist and tangle during the night making quick get ups for any reason a chore. Second they add very little heat to the bag, often they are reviewed adding 5c or even more, I think this is total rubbish and just comes down to most folk not wanting to admit they just shelled out £70+ for something that is not the wonder material it's marketed as. I then tried a micro fleece liner, this solved the heat issue but brought back the same tangle problem.

Now I carry a set of light weight (160g) micro fleece base layer, they cost me a fraction of the silk liners, add far more heat if needed, don't tangle and double up as a thermal layer during the day should it be required. The only downside being they obviously don't pack as small or light, but the difference is so small compared to the total benefits that it becomes a small price to pay.

If you don't care about getting twisted during the night go for a light micro fleece liner, but leave the silk liners for the purpose they were designed for which is an extra sheet in tropical hotels.

But silk liners do help keep oil and sweat from entering the insulation of a bag. I use a £20 silk liner in my top end bags so I don't have to wash them as often

Reactions: Laurence Milton

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE