SIZING HELP for Surplus Items

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Help appreciated.
Can anyone here give a rough idea or a link to a reliable size translation chart?
Shopping for stuff and ordering by mail if I know the right size I can ask a clerk to check the size by the code
American kit has the size in inches plus a NATO size=I understand inches!

But I've seen items in mail order such as British Size 1, Size 2, etc. and foreign items with codes.

Anyone have a rule of thumb for a XL and L..what are these in surplus military gear? NATO sizes?
Helps cut the hassle of returning items by mail if you can get it right the first time around.
TIA
Monk

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Try some Google searches with phrases like "Conversion Charts"....I found something a while ago which delivered what you're after but for the life of me can't remember precisely what the website was called.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Monk,
I'm not sure about the sized items, but the Nato sizing is a metric height then waist/chest measurement.
But by all accounts, when you call to order - the clerk should know that when you say that you are "seven stone soaking wet" - size X should fit and if you say "seven foot tall and able to pull the heads off bulls" - size Y is what you need ;)

Ogri the trog

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
The measurment is called "NATO sizing." You'll see 4 numbers, such as '7032' or "7240."

The first set, in this case, '70' and '72' is your height in inches.

The second set '32' or '40' is your waistline in inches.

It's really a great sizing system.

Cheers,

A.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
A clerk at one of the British surplus dealers was kind enough to send me a typed list of sizes for certain garments years ago. However, about the time I learned what size smock I needed (first a size 4, then a size 5!!), the sizing system changed. And I think it changed again.

On top of everything else, I think the cut of different garments have changed, at least for temperate combat smocks. If I am not mistaken, they seem to be much longer than they used to be, both in the sleeve and in the body, for a given size. This is comparing the 95 pattern full zip front smock with the older (68?) DPM smock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE