Simple Stirrer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like that :) it looks like a good one for beating thick cake batter or getting to the bottom of the pot of stew.

As I made my porridge this morning I realised that the end of my spurtle really is becoming a little rounded.
No shame to it, my Dad made it decades ago, and it's still 'my' spurtle, iimmc ? :) I might ask one of the boys to tidy it crisp again, just at the end.

Good everyday tools are good wooden spoons, spatulas, spurtles, etc.,

You've certainly got a huge range of them Kepis :happy: You're a busy man :cool:

M

Reactions: Kepis

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I like that :) it looks like a good one for beating thick cake batter or getting to the bottom of the pot of stew.

As I made my porridge this morning I realised that the end of my spurtle really is becoming a little rounded.
No shame to it, my Dad made it decades ago, and it's still 'my' spurtle, iimmc ? :) I might ask one of the boys to tidy it crisp again, just at the end.

Good everyday tools are good wooden spoons, spatulas, spurtles, etc.,

You've certainly got a huge range of them Kepis :happy: You're a busy man :cool:

M

Cheers Toddy, got to keep busy, if i dont, i seize up in this horrible, cold, damp weather, ive not been out in the workshop the last two days and i could feel the difference in my legs, went out for a few hours this afternoon and they feel so much better, stiff and sore yes, but better than they did this morning.

Im starting to run out of ideas of things to make, i have to keep it simple so i can manage with my limited dexterity, think tomorrow might be an axe day, got some nice Cherry logs last week and think i might process one of them into billets, will see what the day brings :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Best of all, turn it over and use it as a heavy duty mixing and stirring stick. Pasta dough, pizza dough and so on.
I like the handle design, spoke shave, perhaps?

Birch is great carving wood for just about anything.
Such as the elbow design handles for Pacific Northwest adzes.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cheers Toddy, got to keep busy, if i dont, i seize up in this horrible, cold, damp weather, ive not been out in the workshop the last two days and i could feel the difference in my legs, went out for a few hours this afternoon and they feel so much better, stiff and sore yes, but better than they did this morning.

Im starting to run out of ideas of things to make, i have to keep it simple so i can manage with my limited dexterity, think tomorrow might be an axe day, got some nice Cherry logs last week and think i might process one of them into billets, will see what the day brings :)

Have you thought of maybe making yourself a pole lathe ?
They're pretty straightforward, and since you do have a good eye for the carving, you might have some fun playing with one. It's the classic Bodger's tool. They make some excellent furniture pieces from them.
I spin, and some of my modern spinning and weaving tools were made in Poland and Checkoslovakia (sp???) anyway, those tools, from niddy noddys (hank winders) to spindles to lazy kates are all made from turned pieces, many of them are then sawn in half to give two flat backed pieces. Makes interesting and useful tools. I can't see why a pole lathe couldn't be used for those, and it's a whole other market for your woodwork.

M

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Have you thought of maybe making yourself a pole lathe ?

M

Oh yes, got the plans all drawn up, material and cut list ready to go, just waiting to get fit enough to be able to build and use it

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I admit I was rather surprised not to see you making use of one :)

One of the fellows who demonstrates beside me and my friends at traditional craft events packs everything but the sapling into a small kit bag. He's the lightest travelling one among us.

One of the turners went to the Bodger's Ball, and came home full of ideas and plans and a head full of designs. He said that he had a new name for the huge variety of polelathes. He said that collectively they were an Amazement of polelathes :D

M

Reactions: Macaroon

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I admit I was rather surprised not to see you making use of one :)

One of the fellows who demonstrates beside me and my friends at traditional craft events packs everything but the sapling into a small kit bag. He's the lightest travelling one among us.

One of the turners went to the Bodger's Ball, and came home full of ideas and plans and a head full of designs. He said that he had a new name for the huge variety of polelathes. He said that collectively they were an Amazement of polelathes :D

M

I made a bow lathe a few years back and that worked quite well for small things like the Spurtles you mentioned and small spinning tops, the odd tool handle etc, i was going to get a powered lathe for the workshop, but i looked into it and changed my mind to making a pole lathe instead, hopefully by the end of this year, the garden will be full of shavings :D

Last edited:

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Nice spoon! That octagonal handle is a really distinctive feature.

Good luck with building a pole lathe later in the year. As a relative beginner myself I know there are others with much more knowledge and experience (there is a bodgers forum), but if you need any advice then don't hesitate to ask - I might be able to stop you making some of the mistakes that I made!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice spoon! That octagonal handle is a really distinctive feature.

Good luck with building a pole lathe later in the year. As a relative beginner myself I know there are others with much more knowledge and experience (there is a bodgers forum), but if you need any advice then don't hesitate to ask - I might be able to stop you making some of the mistakes that I made!

Cheers mate, will take you up on that when i come to build my lathe.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Love the simplicity! Great piece of work!
Is it possible tondo it with a knife only?
Haven't try any spoon yet.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

You could apart from the bowl, ideally a spoon knife or small gouge is needed to hollow the bowl, but you could do it by chipping away small slivers of wood and levering them out, you wouldn't get the smooth finish unless you sanded it.

Reactions: OrtesPL

OrtesPL

Feb 4, 2018
London
You could apart from the bowl, ideally a spoon knife or small gouge is needed to hollow the bowl, but you could do it by chipping away small slivers of wood and levering them out, you wouldn't get the smooth finish unless you sanded it.
Thanks!
I'll watch some YouTube tutorials

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kepis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE