Simple leather thimble

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
H

Heathenpeddler

I made this very simple thimble some time ago and it's become a staple part of my leather sewing kit so I thought I'd share it. (Sórry about the pics, my cam isn't very good at night :) )

It all started out with a triangular offcut from one of my early projects. I was having a lot of problems getting the needle through the holes and picked up the offcut to use as a pad for my thumb. That got me thinking and I decided to wrap it around my finger for a more easily usable thimble.

Picture026.jpg

I punched a couple of holes in the thin ends and riveted it together but it could easily be sewn. This is it on my finger

Picture027-1.jpg

The good thing about this one is you can use it when pushing the needle away from you as well as towards you. When pushing away from you the thumb is used to push the needle so you put the end of the needle on the inside face of the thimble as shown here

Picture028.jpg

(That's me sewing a lid for a leather pot - got the idea from the salt'n'pepper pot here)

And when pushing towards you, just use the thimble normally on the finger thus

Picture029-1.jpg

What do you think?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
That's a really neat idea:notworthy I have been using an off cut of leather to push the needles but it's not as good as this.Thank you for sharing it.

Have a virtual rep point from me!:beerchug:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Very good thinking!
Me - I am ashamed to admit that I often resort to using my leatherman to pull needles through leather.....

Not a realy bushy answer to the problem....:lmao:

H

Heathenpeddler

Very good thinking!
Me - I am ashamed to admit that I often resort to using my leatherman to pull needles through leather.....

Not a realy bushy answer to the problem....:lmao:
:D well, I think I cropped the pliers I'm using out of the pic John! The round awl I use for the holes on the pot lid is made from a needle, same one as I use to sew with, so the holes are tight!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE