Silicone and White spirit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scubajunky

Nov 2, 2022
Anglesey
Anyone used Silicone and White spirit to waterproof a jacket ? Have an old Berghaus jacket that keeps leaking even after treatment.
Would it be silly to do this ?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
No. It isn't clear from your question whether you have leaking seams and want to seam seal, whether the jacket is Gortex and the mebrane has failed, or is some other laminate. The answers to those questions effect other answers.

I have used silicone and white spirit on some new tent and pack fabric, and some urethane seam seal on others, and it peeled off and looked awful in short order. Probably to do with residual DWR type treatments. If the jacket has had treatments other than silicone, ever, there is a good chance that your silicone treatment will not stick for long. Seam sealing will be better than area treatments.

Try by all means, but I would do so on a small area where it didn't matter first, then leave for a few weeks of use.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Try a bit of DIY treatment, if the coat leaks, it is pretty much a write off already, so even if you make a mess it can't be any less useful.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I would not expect it to stick to the Goretex membrane, as that is a form of PTFE and not much sticks to that. I would be hoping that enough of the DWR has worn off the shell fabric to allow the silicone to stick to that, from the outside. I would not expect it to look nice even if the treatment does not delaminate.

As silicone is much easier to source than non-silicone builders sealants, I would be trying the silicone first (on a sample area).

Have you considered something like this?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funnily enough I've just been repairing one of my husband's truly ancient goretex jackets.
It's his favourite go-to jacket when it's pouring down, the wind's blowing and he's wandering through coarse stuff. It was made to measure by Slioch over twenty years ago and is of the heaviest goretex available then. It's longer than most jackets, more the length of what used to be called a car coat, so it keeps his thighs dry and sort of saves his knees from the worst of the wet as well. In other words he wanted it fixed.
The seam tape had finally failed, and putting on new stuff didn't take properly; even with care, it wasn't secure.
So, we have resorted to uhu and more tape. So far, it seems to have worked :)

The uhu I used was this stuff.
Power classic, dries clear, flexible and waterproof.
One tube was not enough to do the jacket. Two 'just' managed, so not a cheap/cheap option.

I have no idea how long it will last, but it has certainly repaired the jacket, made it wearable again, and it doesn't seem to seep through to the front.

scubajunky

Nov 2, 2022
Anglesey
I would not expect it to stick to the Goretex membrane, as that is a form of PTFE and not much sticks to that. I would be hoping that enough of the DWR has worn off the shell fabric to allow the silicone to stick to that, from the outside. I would not expect it to look nice even if the treatment does not delaminate.

As silicone is much easier to source than non-silicone builders sealants, I would be trying the silicone first (on a sample area).

Have you considered something like this?
Thanks for that.

scubajunky

Nov 2, 2022
Anglesey
Funnily enough I've just been repairing one of my husband's truly ancient goretex jackets.
It's his favourite go-to jacket when it's pouring down, the wind's blowing and he's wandering through coarse stuff. It was made to measure by Slioch over twenty years ago and is of the heaviest goretex available then. It's longer than most jackets, more the length of what used to be called a car coat, so it keeps his thighs dry and sort of saves his knees from the worst of the wet as well. In other words he wanted it fixed.
The seam tape had finally failed, and putting on new stuff didn't take properly; even with care, it wasn't secure.
So, we have resorted to uhu and more tape. So far, it seems to have worked :)

The uhu I used was this stuff.
Power classic, dries clear, flexible and waterproof.
One tube was not enough to do the jacket. Two 'just' managed, so not a cheap/cheap option.

I have no idea how long it will last, but it has certainly repaired the jacket, made it wearable again, and it doesn't seem to seep through to the front.
Wow, how does it look and how did you get it on even ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It looks absolutely fine. I just took my time, cleaned up the seams before I started. Did them one at a time. I spread the glue on using one of the little glue spreader things that kids use for pva. Bought a pack of six of them years ago. But anything small and neat ended would do fine. It was just to get the glue spread out wide enough to fit the width of the tape, and not spread out beyond the edges.

The glue is inclined to be stringy, but if you're aware of that and just work carefully, it does fine. If you do get strings, don't rub them in, just leave them alone and they'll dry and peel off.
Once I had the glue on, and then the tape carefully positioned on it, I rubbed it firmly down using a folded up kitchen towel. DIsposable so no gluey mess transferring around.

I don't know if it'll last, I am quietly hopeful, but Himself's chuffed and no loose flapping bits of no longer, or improperly, fixed down seam sealant tape.

I don't know what you might use instead of that tape. It wasn't cheap when I bought it years ago, but I couldn't get it to stick down properly with just heat, so, the glue seemed the best we could manage. The tape seems to be just really lightweight goretex or similar.
My seams might no longer be 'breathable' but they're waterproof :)

M

Reactions: scubajunky

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE