Sil-Mini Peak 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Give you a mora clone for it lol :D

Looks good. I waited too long when you were selling the Mini peak last week.
My Golite Shangri-la has just landed today and if anything it's going to be a bit big for me on my own.
Looking forward to a reveiw after use then will decide if I replace mine with the Lux mini peak.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I never found they worked very well in decent wind, they are ok, if like you say, pitched into the wind, but if that wind shifts and catches the sides.......

I would have said the complete opposite, at least for some of the decent tents anyway as they are very aerodynamic if pitched correct rotation into wind.

For anybody looking they're also in stock at http://equipoutdoors.co.nz/

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I never found they worked very well in decent wind, they are ok, if like you say, pitched into the wind, but if that wind shifts and catches the sides.......

Actually my bad. I wrongly assumed a tunnel tent was like a Hilleberg Akto, Laser Comp, Zephyros etc but the actual tunnel tents look way less aerodynamic. The single hoop/man designs are much better and its those which I wrong assumed was been referred to. ;)

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
If a tunnel tent is properly guyed out at the sides then it should not collapse if (when?) the wind direction changes. The stability can be improved further by cross bracing inside the tent if it's really bad.

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
Purchased one of these recently from BPL, (great service). Not had the opportunity to use it yet. I needed a tent specifically for when I am out and about on my own with the dog. It had to be suitable for trips to the hills and withstand being exposed to bad weather. This tent appears to be perfect for this as a muddy/wet dog would just ruin the inside of most 2 man tents. Having no ground sheet built in allows far more flexability for this type of situation with a dog. I will follow-up with a review when I get a chance to use it.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Purchased one of these recently from BPL, (great service). Not had the opportunity to use it yet. I needed a tent specifically for when I am out and about on my own with the dog. It had to be suitable for trips to the hills and withstand being exposed to bad weather. This tent appears to be perfect for this as a muddy/wet dog would just ruin the inside of most 2 man tents. Having no ground sheet built in allows far more flexability for this type of situation with a dog. I will follow-up with a review when I get a chance to use it.

Yeah I was planning on buying from BPL but you have to be really quick once that email comes in if you want to get one while they have stock. I recently learned you can pre-order them if you email them which is what I wish I did because its now cost me £36 more due to import duties and handling charges and not going to get it till after bank holiday most likely :(

I think this is an absolutely brilliant looking tent for the price/weight and size especially when similar looking/style tents are much higher in price and weight. I really love my Zephyros 1 but this beats it in most departments as far as I can tell :)

Look forward to your review :)

harrymacfie

Aug 11, 2013
Sweden
Hi there, about MiniPeak; waited for nearly the whole summer for the tent to surface in Britain. It didnt so i got my M.P.2 in Germany instead, even cheaper thain in UK. Also, it was delivered whithin a week to my adress here in Sweden. See luxeoutdoor.de. BoC.
P.s I find the tent a little too drafty, anyone heard about a inner nest made of ordinary fabric; inner tent style ?D.s.

lathe dog

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Middlesex
Hopefully I'll have one of these landing here tomorrow, after waiting for them to come back in stock at BPL and then being in the right place at the right time when the notification email arrived and managing to snag one before they sold out again..........I'm a happy chappy.

Looking forward to getting out and trying it.........

Hi there, about MiniPeak; waited for nearly the whole summer for the tent to surface in Britain. It didnt so i got my M.P.2 in Germany instead, even cheaper thain in UK. Also, it was delivered whithin a week to my adress here in Sweden. See luxeoutdoor.de. BoC.
P.s I find the tent a little too drafty, anyone heard about a inner nest made of ordinary fabric; inner tent style ?D.s.

I haven't seen any specifically for the Mini peak 2, but an email to here might be worth a shot they might be able to make one for you.

http://oookworks.com/index.php

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Ive read good things about these, and was recommended one a while back on here when buying a tent. Was almost swayed then and wish i had went with one. But im now looking again, so 3 questions

I do alot of hillwalking, and try to camp low in sheltered areas/forested areas, but what sort of wind would these be capable of taking if i felt like camping abit further up the slopes?

Is the inner totally midge-proof?

And would it be suitable for winter conditions (low level), or would it be a bit drafty with the mesh inner?

Its between a minipeak and a Zepyros 1. Leaning towards Zephyros 1 for the 3 reasons above, but i like the space in the minipeak.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
And would it be suitable for winter conditions (low level), or would it be a bit drafty with the mesh inner?

No experience with this particular tent, but I think that you're right that the mesh inner would be drafty compared to a traditional ripstop inner.

I've winter camped with just a tipi (no inner), mesh inner and ripstop inner. There wasn't much difference between the mesh and no inner at all. The ripstop was markedly cosier - no breezes passing through, and just felt snugger. Black mesh makes the inner feel dark and gloomy to me too. The mesh only really keeps mozzies out - not an issue in Winter. [This was in a GoLite Shangri-La 3 by the way, not this tent.]

Bob from BackpackingLight has an article up about cooking Christmas dinner in one of these, they camped overnight with very strong winds, and he was very happy with the tent: http://www.theoutdoorsstation.co.uk/2011/12/christmas-within-tent/

So I don't think you'd have any worries about the tent holding up.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
I do alot of hillwalking, and try to camp low in sheltered areas/forested areas, but what sort of wind would these be capable of taking if i felt like camping abit further up the slopes? handles reasonable wind OK -
Is the inner totally midge-proof ? yes unless you find a particularly B.mind midge with a SAK !

And would it be suitable for winter conditions (low level), or would it be a bit drafty with the mesh inner ? I find it drafty despite pegging right down and too cold for winter use. But then I bought it for hot countries use.

Its between a minipeak and a Zepyros 1. Leaning towards Zephyros 1 for the 3 reasons above, but i like the space in the minipeak.

space is good - word of caution if pre-heating a petrol stove inside.... control the burn or whooosh!

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I have used this is very windy conditions (all be it in a woodland) and didnt have any draft as far as I can remember. Tbh though, as long as you have a decent sleeping bag and maybe a ski mask or something else to keep face/head warm is a draft going to even make any difference?

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Well between what ive read, BPL Bob's christmas dinner and comments on here, it seems stability isnt really an issue in all but the absolute worst winds.

Main thing really is midge proof, which it seems to be, and how suitable it would be for winter conditions. But i suppose people hammock and bivy out, so with the right gear it should be fine, as Adz says.
Still having a look around at some of the other mini peaks and diffrent versions, just trying to gather up some info first, so cheers for the replys so far

From a bit further reading, it seems there are conflicting reports. Some people saying yes, others saying no. Perhaps older versions arent, or perhaps even they (or me) are mixing up between the Sil-mini peak and Mini peak 2? Internet makes researching stuff so confusing at times.

Though going by Berts post, he seems to have owned/used one and says it is. And if there are midges with knifes about, ive got bigger problems :p

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE