Show me your homemade Meths Burners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I accidentally bought some very small pots so I had a go at making ridiculously tiny meths burners with felt and 40 count mesh.

04BD4FF5-0C10-43AF-B8D9-6FE9F8435023.jpeg

Just to be clear these are 40mm dis and 18mm deep. Bit of fun really but under optimal conditions they just touch boiling 300ml of water.

The small area and capacity do limit what they can do but I was pleasantly surprised. Not a first choice for use but I made a few and they can sit in the corner of a pouch.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I keep one as a back up in the bottom of my Kelly Kettle. If the worst comes to the worst I just flood the KK fire bucket with meths and set fire to it. (No Smoke!!!!)

The KK is much more efficient than a pot for boiling water.
Hang on and I’ll fire up the cola-tin stove.

IMG_5316.jpegIMG_5327.jpeg
It lives in a tin like the ones in your pic.
I put a tissue in the lid, soak it in meths and put the filled stove on that. It goes a bit nuclear for a while then when the alcohol is boiling I drop a penny over the filling hole and the vapour comes out of the ring of holes.

It’s very simple. This one is just two can bottoms and filled with fireproof insulation.

Reactions: Ozmundo

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I accidentally bought some very small pots
Yeah. I understand that all too well :) I love auctions. One of the skills of the auctioneer is to put together a pile of junk but to include just one item that I really want. The amazing thing is that other bidders see a different item as the “must have”. I own fourteen empty little Castella tins. It would be fun to try and make some sort of burner out of one. I think they would be too unstable.

Reactions: Ozmundo

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Only in that you don’t need the penny. The coin forces the vapour to pass through the burner jets. If you’ve got the jet hole sizes right it increases the pressure in the stove.

The double wall creates a vapour lock which has the same effect. That’s how the Trangia works.

At a push I have just poured meths into a dish and fired it up. Not as intense as gas under pressure but it works.

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
That’s perfectly normal.
I sit mine in a tin lid of meths to boil the fuel and get it started. It all contributes to the coffee.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE