Show me your homemade Meths Burners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Im going to have ago at making a DIY meths burner, but i want to pillage some good ideas :)

Wsa hoping someone had made one with two burning rings? two sets of rings? Lets see what you have...

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
made a single coil self pressurizing stove. post with pic was borde style meth stove....I think! have since made a 2nd version and polished the fuel tank, but not posted pics of it.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I made a little alcohol stove from an 80g tuna can. New ground for me, this. The thinking was that once it was lit flames would come out of the top holes and air would be sucked in thru' the lower ones. It seemed to work, more or less, and as luck would have it a 25ml measure of fuel just came up to the lower holes and burned long enough to boil the little pot full of water.

GCKbnr.jpg

GCKbnrlit.jpg

The 'little pot' was a 300g tuna tin.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
This is a stove I made and still use, I was wanting to use only one can so used this double wall contruction.

stove1-3.jpg

stove4.jpg

stove5.jpg

stove3.jpg

stove6.jpg

stove7.jpg

stove8.jpg

stove11.jpg

stove12.jpg

stove13.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
couple of my home made jobs, like JohnC these are double wall burners

The first is made from two drinks can bases and boils up 500ml of water on a half fill, spot on for when you just want a cuppa

DSCN0957grgr.jpg

this one is made from a drinks can but uses the top and bottom sections of the can, again works well when you just want a quick brew up.

DrinksCancooker.jpg

i have a couple more photo's of some other somewhere, if i find them, i'll put them up

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've made a few now; various different pressurized burners and side burners.

This is by far my favourite though, all the others are consigned to a shelf. I've trodden on a couple and ruined them, this design can be bent back easily.
IMAG0393.jpg

IMAG0392.jpg

Made from an Aldi alu pate' tin with an 8mm paper punch. 32 holes.Weighs 6g. Needs no pot stand.

It's more efficient than all of the pressurized burners I've made and my trangia. Its also the same size as a trangia burner, so can be used as a replacement too.

Love it.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
TBH the tuna can stove was just an experiment; part of another project. 9 times out of ten, these days, I use a regular Trangia bnr in a T27, T28 or a Westwind.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I've made a few now; various different pressurized burners and side burners.

This is by far my favourite though, all the others are consigned to a shelf ...
It's more efficient than all of the pressurized burners I've made and my trangia.

Do you just pour the meths in it and light it?

Any pictures of it running?

I made one with a small can of peas and some bits of broken brick:

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/dscf3616_can.jpg

http://pk2/thumbnails/Fuji/2011/2011.07/dscf3627.html

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
I used a tuna can stove for over a year solid when I took up fishing few years back, for all my tea and cooking, they just work great. cant recall why I moved on... it may have just been to test build other types.
brings back some cool memories.
Thanks.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
now iv tried cat can stoves, tuna can stoves, all different types of coke can stoves although they are very good, i am to clumsy to keep them as part of my kit because twice i have got out of my hammock and stood on them and they have crushed. ooopps no brew in the morning.
here are 2 different burners i like to use as they have a great burning time, they are very stong, they are the wright size for my kit and light to carry.

stove No:1
this one is made from an aluminum budwiser bottle, it works just like a coke can stove but is much stronger, i can stand on this & it will hold my wieght. in my experience this one has a better flame and burns a lot longer than similar stoves of its design. I used this one with my bigger pots and when im gonna cook a nice meal. i have made a smaller version from a hair spray bottle from the pound shop ;)

pros
strong, light, long burning time, high heat, doesnt need a priming pan, simple design.

cons
you need good tools to make a nice neet one ie dremmel. hand tool are a challenge for this job.
5284f835-a3f4-fe07.jpg
5284f835-a470-d2f0.jpg

Stove No:2
this is one of my main used alcohol burner. i got the idea from an altoid tin stove but tried the same design on a vasaline tin instead, I wanted a burner that could fit in my crusader kit and can stay in there when i pack it away. the good thing about this stove is that the more you use it the better it works, when I first started using it, the burn time was 8mins 22secs but now when I use it with the same amount of meths, the burn time is 15mins 46sec. I think because its made with loft insulation and an old siv, the insulation absorbs left over meths and improves its next burn. another great thing about this stove is that it doesnt waist meths and once you have boiled your water it can then be snuffed out with the lid. now I designed this stove for my crusader kit but if you make a little pot stand for it, it can be carried on its own, also the lid can be used for solid and jell feul ;)
now I havent seen this design made with a vasaline tin befor so my ego will take fall credit for this stove and if anyone desides to make it,Please call it the little sammy :)

pros
very small, extremly light, easy to use, great versatility, its the best alcohol stove for the crusader kit by far. It improves the more you use it. doest waist feul and it can burn solid and jell feul.

cons
it needs a pot stand, you can lose it. and it has a funny name (the little sammy) lol
5284f835-abe6-b8a4.jpg
5284f835-ac1a-37ef.jpg
5284f837-ac55-bcc3.jpg
5284f835-ac76-e175.jpg

packed away it the bottem
5284f835-ac8f-057c.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Here is my little meths burner - made from Red Bull cans (how can oeople drink that foul brew?) as Mesquite showed me how:)
DSCF5376.jpg

DSCF5379.jpg

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
The budweiser bottle stoves( white box stove knock off ) are very easy to make, i have to disagree with monkey boy when he says you need good tools to make one. All i use is an old bread knife ( i find it cuts the bottle a little neater than a junior hacksaw, just takes a little longer ), a small drill, a tape measure, a pencil/pen, a small amount of emery paper and some masking tape. To be honest if you have a steady hand you could do without the masking tape.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
The budweiser bottle stoves( white box stove knock off ) are very easy to make, i have to disagree with monkey boy when he says you need good tools to make one. All i use is an old bread knife ( i find it cuts the bottle a little neater than a junior hacksaw, just takes a little longer ), a small drill, a tape measure, a pencil/pen, a small amount of emery paper and some masking tape. To be honest if you have a steady hand you could do without the masking tape.

sorry what i ment was good tools will make a nice need job, iv made one with hand tools also and your wright it is simple enough to do, i just found my dremmel gave me a nicer cut but with that said i have never tried using a bread knife to do the cutting befor. mb

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE