Should we use transport?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
Just thinking a lot of threads go on about light weight kit basic gear etc, yet half of us seem to go bushcrafting in 4x4 etc,

Should we not only take the kit we can carry, going light weigth then running back to car and getting more makes it a bit pointless

A quick confession I have done this with my own 4x4, how many done like wise,

Now days use my horse to carry my kit much more fun and never got stuck in mud yet:D

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Some people have far too much lightweight kit to fit into one bergen though.
Maybe a 4x4 tartan trolley to carry all the lightweight space saving gadgets we all carry may save all the trips back and to to the car?

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
unfortunatly the UK does not have large expanses of wilderness for us to roam in, i dont think people are bushcrafting from their vehicals, more taking their vehicals to the bushcraft, remember even that land which is sutible for bushcraft is often privatlly owned or limited public access.. so if your in walking distace of even one bushcraft friendly area your lucky.

also most people on this site hold down full time occupation.. there for bushcraft time is at a premium, perhaps if you had all the time in the world you could amble along untill you came to a decent campsite and spend plenty of time doing what ever you fancy, but most people dont.

good question though! :)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
With reguards to trains and busses it probably comes down to the time being at a premium thing again and bushcraft spots being few and far between, im sure they could get you so far but i reckon a car is probably a more effective way to go. at least in the country at this time :rolleyes:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I don't own a car, so I don't get out as much as I would like... But even when I am travelling in someone else's vehicle, I still pack like I'm going to have to put all my kit on my back and walk with it.

If you find yourself making frequent trips back to the car to pick up stuff, you're camping too close to the car park. ;) :)

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I would use transports but I would not like to use campers.
I would travel with sleadge dogs, snowmaschine, canoe, a 4x4 I would use to get me nearer to my starting point but would not like to have a holiday where I drive around with a car using roads. With the dogteam, snowmaschine or canoe you still can skip people and roads but with a car its a problem. I could think as well to hire a air taxi to bring me out and pick me up later.

Only the thought of staying on the road with tons of other people puts me off.

cheers
Abbe

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Goose said:
Some people have far too much lightweight kit to fit into one bergen though.
Maybe a 4x4 tartan trolley to carry all the lightweight space saving gadgets we all carry may save all the trips back and to to the car?
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
And what about the looks you get nowadays carrying a backpack on the underground :confused:

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
wow made me think about when i was a kid use to just have a bag with some custard creams in maybe some coke and a box of matches in pocket head off to the woods build a shelter (called it a camp in those days) light a fire then bugger off home b4 dark or stay over never ever gt hassle from land owners - did not even consider it could be a problem .
public transport oh golley not unless yu really have to even with the lightest equipment on your back its a pain - would always use a car - sorry not very eco friendly just the way it is

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE