short eared owl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
i went out for a walk this morning and saw a short eared owl and i wondered if they are rare to see or are they quit common in england. i live in oxfordshire so could it just be that they don't visit this area much.Not much of a twitcher just a general interest.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Fairly common over heaths, moorlands or on the coast up here, one of the few owls you will see flying during the day. Not sure about Oxfordshire?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I love bird watching, but I have to admit I have never seen one (in the wild). I have only seen Barnys and Little owls in the wild and Tawnys very occasionally, though I do hear them a fair bit.................Jon

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Quite a few sat on my garden fence, and the telephone pylons during the day and night.

They make an awful racket, bit disconcerting if your sat in your tent at night.

Description

Size: 330 mm to 430mm

Colour: The back of the short eared owl is a pale buff and dark brown in a mottled pattern. The under parts are a pale buff colour with dark brown bars in a downward pattern on the upper breast and neck. The face is an off-white with brownish rings around the eyes. The eyes are lemon yellow. And it has short 'ear tufts' which are rare to see in the field.

Behaviour

In Europe the short eared owl is a migratory bird. They will travel over a 1000 Km to winter in southern England. Short eared owls will hunt by both night and day. This owl is an expert in low-level hunting over open ground.
Breeding

The first eggs are usually laid in April and they lay between 5 and 8 eggs. Incubation is on average 27 days. Short eared owls nests in a scrape on the ground camouflaged by long grass or reeds. Second broods will be attempted if there is plenty of food available.

Food

The Short Eared Owl feeds almost exclusively (88% of their diet) on small mammals, mice, voles and shrews. The remainder is made up from birds and possibly immature rats.

Distribution

The short eared owl breeds mostly in the northern parts of the UK and parts of the south east coast. During the winter birds from Scandinavia will migrate to most of southern England.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
That takes me back!!!

About 10 years ago now I lived in Kidlington, Oxon for a while and I used to regularly watch a 'Shortie' on the fields near the canal. Fantastic sight!

While not exactly 'common' in Oxfordshire they may hang around for a while during hard weather if they happen upon good feeding. Enjoy - they are a marvellous sight when hunting and surprisingly agile - I remember hiding in a hedge and watching one chase a blackbird up the hedge towards me.

Regards

Bob :)

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
BOB
i now live in Kidlington and it was down by the river at thrupp in one of the open fields there. i went back there today to see if it was still about but could not see it ,however i did find a number of pellet next to the post it was sat on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE