sharpening knife without fancy kit???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

timtom1

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Lancs
www.barkcanoe.net
ok how do you sharpen a knife without japanese waterstones for example your in a survival situtation and you've left everything but your knife at home?

Another question what is the best way to clean your blade if it gets marked or dirty?

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Various methods spring to mind... Depends really on how much it needs sharpening and where you are. In a birch forect for example you may well find razor strop fungus. The edge of a stone or broken glass can put an edge back on a knife. cardboard can be used as a strop - as can your leather belt or even your jeans. It really does depend on how blunt it is :) :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
find two relatively flat stones, try sandstone, arub them together so that you flatten a side. Then use it like a normal sharpening stone. You can use a rounded stone from a river aswell, and quartz supposedly does the job too.

Try it out and see how you get on.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
timtom1 said:
thanks for that :) whats the best way to clean the blade if it gets marked or dirty?

I use the sludge that's generated when i sharpen the blade on my waterstones, just rub over the blade with your index finger, i find that gets rid of most marks and stains, if's it's real bad i use the finest grade of wet & dry i can find ( http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=19877&recno=5 ) and gently rub it over the blade with a block, i find this also works, i started a post a while ago that you might find of interest, you can find it here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=7509

Hope it helps

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Use the unglazed ring on the bottom of a plate or other piece of pottery

easy :)

your very own ceramic sharpener, you already own dozens of them

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE