sharpening a big blade !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 15, 2005
wantage
'Spect a few have seen this over on BB, but someone posted this interesting link :
mms://wm.channelj.speedera.net/wm.channelj/chj/intr12_katana_e_020204.wmv

It's very interesting, but about 27 minutes long. Might be worth using a downloader to save it to your hard drive, as it's a streaming video.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I've not bothered looking, but i have always been under the impression that you don't sharpen a true katana in the manner that you would a knife, but maybe the wmv file title is misleading or a it's a cheap and nasty copy? Would be interesting for another type of sword though I guess.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
10 days work on one sword - 5 sharpening, and 5 finishing it off.
All on water stones. About 5 different grades in all.
And it's an old one too, something like 5 or 600 years old. If that aint a true katana, i dont know what is.... :)

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Amazing. What an incredible level of skill that goes into the sharpening and polishing. I get an ok-ish result on my straight razor after about an hour. But this guy keeps going for 10 days to get that absolute perfection. That's dedication for you.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I stand corrected, it is a great clip! So that's what my ex-wife meant by they're not sharpened-what she meant was not regularily as you would a knife, but polished as and when. Her father still has their old family blade and many newer, cheaper blades. Her grandfather was an accomplished practitioner of yabusame, which is the mounted archery they practice, and he was in many early Kurosawa films, and her father was an extra in 'Ran', one of his newer, colour films. Damn, I miss my Japanese culture!!!

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Excellent vid, the attention to detail is amazing! Very good tutorial on the proper use of waterstones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE