Seven weeks lost in the wilderness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
bloody hell, she was lucky.
just goes to show you if you really want to stay alive its possible, the will to live in some of us humans, is quite astounding sometimes

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I saw this this morning and was curious as to how large Nevada was, this site will superimpose Nevada over the location of your choice. It is huge, pretty much all of the UK landmass could be shoved into there.

Edited to add:

That site uses the Mercator projection for its maps so Nevada will actually be larger than shown.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good news for her, I hope they find her chap too

I bet she's sick of M&Ms and banana chips now though

I wonder if she stayed near the vehicle the whole time, you would have thought they'd have found her in the first search or at least tracked the vehicle somehow.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I wish I could post the current news and interview on here but I'm not that computor literate. I hadn't realized the timing until I saw the interview with her son; she was rescued just in time to spend Mother's day with her kids.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'm going to try to post the link, we'll see how it goes: http://www.ktvb.com/home/Elko-County...121513154.html

That didn't work, maybe these will.

Family details how woman survived in wilderness for 48 days

Rescuer recounts finding Rita Chretien

Search continues for missing Canadian man in vast wilderness area

The landscape they were lost in is described as...

"desert, occasional gorges, rugged terrain, steep, rocky, pockets of deep snow, creeks running very high due to snowmelt, roads washed out due to snowmelt and rockslides".

So a bad place to be lost and a hard place to locate those who are lost.

Last edited:

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
I wonder if any of them actually had any survival equipment with them or had any survival training. Maybe people living in that neck of the woods need to start thinking about such courses now?

dwolfhunter

Jan 27, 2011
Virginia, USA
Hmmm...helpful items of info: Nevada is larger in surface area than the UK, most of the folks who live in NV's rural areas are survivalists by birth or training( i.e. rural farmers, ranchers, indians etc...). The folks who live in the cities...not so much. The terrain is temperate to arid and trends from high desert to rocky foothills, to middling height mountains. The Canadian tourists-taking an unplanned, un prepared trip down what they called "the scenic route"; trusted a less than accurate map. They noticed that the road they were using was not a regular paved/maintained road (often referred to locally as a service road or a seasonal road)and continued further into the bush until they were well and truly stranded.
Conditions were sub optimal for anyone hiking alone. Conditions were sub optimal for anyone stranded with their vehicle. This a case of survival by sheer ,dumb ,common garden variety, doo-dah luck. I pray that the woman's husband is alive and well...but my sense of reality says he was coyote/bear/mountain lion chow as soon as he was out of her line of sight.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i agree with some of the others she ate him lol on a more serious note i hope they find him then at least the poor women and her family will have closure regards dave

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hmmm...helpful items of info: Nevada is larger in surface area than the UK, most of the folks who live in NV's rural areas are survivalists by birth or training( i.e. rural farmers, ranchers, indians etc...). The folks who live in the cities...not so much. The terrain is temperate to arid and trends from high desert to rocky foothills, to middling height mountains...

Mt. Wheeler and Mt. Charleston both top out at near 12,000 feet. Mt. Charleston has a fair ski lodge as well. Google it for some spectacular scenery. BTW there are 5 upscale housing subdivisions on Mt. Charleston and 2 of them do not have electricity. $800,000 homes in an upscale, gated subdivision with no electric service! Only a 45 minute drive from Las Vegas and the Hoover Dam which provides power to the entire Southwest! You either go all gas or provide your own elec via solar panels or gas generator. That tells something about how rural the state is.

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
If they'd had one of those personal locator beacons with them they might not even have required any course
Really tragic that this bloke has perished in this manner

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That didn't work, maybe these will.

Family details how woman survived in wilderness for 48 days

Rescuer recounts finding Rita Chretien

Search continues for missing Canadian man in vast wilderness area

The landscape they were lost in is described as...

"desert, occasional gorges, rugged terrain, steep, rocky, pockets of deep snow, creeks running very high due to snowmelt, roads washed out due to snowmelt and rockslides".

So a bad place to be lost and a hard place to locate those who are lost.

Thanks.

Yeah, they were only 3 miles from a ranch but neither they nor the rancher knew it. I agree with Jock, some type of locater beacon or 2 way radio would have been helpful. I'm going to have to install something in my truck I think.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Some photos from where the van was found here.

The first picture looks a bit like Scotland at first glance, however as you progress through the gallery you get a feel for how wild it really is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE