Semi Aquatic ancestor theory

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
So, again, is it adaptation, not evolution ?
Apparently adaptation, I read an article about a cold weather research project, people were adapted to cold in about three weeks, one of the participants said that it was the most miserable time of his life. It also is "use it or lose it".

Cold weather is also one of the easiest way to lose weight, dress lightly and do some aerobic exercise like walking (without sweating!) 5h a day, eat as usual and lose 1kg a day. It also helps if one sleeps outside. (Tested that in Norway on a fishing trip, something of a surprise, I really did not have the need to lose weight at the time.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I am confused by the whole adaptation, evolution, selective breeding thing :(. There appears to have been a shift in the meaning of the words adaptation and evolution over the last twenty years or so - or more accurately, my understanding of the use of the words. Add to that gene selection and the whole subject is very confusing to my unprofessional little mind.

For example, I would suggest that the corn bunting is exactly the same species as the bird that was around in the Mesolithic - I presume, they could still breed. Yet I am told that the corn bunting is now a farmland bird that has evolved to take advantage of farm crops. Surely, it is the same bird that finds it easier to feed off farm crops than to go find wild seed i.e. it has adapted to an easier food source. So, there is no such thing as farmland birds!

I am told that there are herds of African Elephant that have 'quickly' evolved with shorter less attractive (to poacher) tusks - rubbish I would suggest; they have just been reduced to a gene pool with shorter tusks - same species, no evolution. If they met a herd with long tusks they could interbreed and produce offspring with long or short tusks (and every length in between).

Excuse my ramblings - the discussions were just adding to my confusion :)

Reactions: Toddy

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I am told that there are herds of African Elephant that have 'quickly' evolved with shorter less attractive (to poacher) tusks - rubbish I would suggest; they have just been reduced to a gene pool with shorter tusks - same species, no evolution. If they met a herd with long tusks they could interbreed and produce offspring with long or short tusks (and every length in between).

Excuse my ramblings - the discussions were just adding to my confusion :)
Isn't that how evolution works, those less suited to the environment die out taking their genes with them. Mutation occurs spontaneously over a long time and some mutations are good for survival in a given environment and some not.

Reactions: Poacherman

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
And that's why I'm confused:) I don't think that's evolution at all; that's selective breeding. It's like saying red hens have evolved into a new species because you've killed all the white ones. A badger faced sheep is the same species as the welsh mountain - just selectively bred to have a badger face (amongst other traits :)) - it's not evolved into a new species. There's no 'natural selection' involved at all.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Apparently adaptation, I read an article about a cold weather research project, people were adapted to cold in about three weeks, one of the participants said that it was the most miserable time of his life. It also is "use it or lose it".

Cold weather is also one of the easiest way to lose weight, dress lightly and do some aerobic exercise like walking (without sweating!) 5h a day, eat as usual and lose 1kg a day. It also helps if one sleeps outside. (Tested that in Norway on a fishing trip, something of a surprise, I really did not have the need to lose weight at the time.
Been there, done that, in the UK though. I was just working hard in bitter cold weather and sleeping in a very cold medieval home....with snow blowing up from the undercroft into the room.
I lost a stone and a half (9.5kg) in three weeks, and I didn't need to lose the weight either.

I once met a very old lady on a very cold, blustery Winter's day. I said it was, "Aye, chilly", and she smiled and took my hand....her hands were hot, not just not cold, but hot. I asked her how? and she said she'd worked in the local dairy since she was a young teenager, and, "There's nae heat in a dairy". She worked in a cold dairy, her hands in cold water for over fifty years. Her hands didn't mind the weather :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
That's like my dad. Whatever the weather no gloves. We had some very cold winters for the UK as a kid and his hands always looked the same whether in the warm or cold. He rarely wore hats when I was young but later on wore a flat cap. His ears never got cold neither.

I used to work on my cold weather conditioning. Including putting on winter weight a bit. I found extra half a stone meant I coped with winter kayaking dunking better and general cold too. When I didn't have it I felt the cold more. It's also an element of mental preparation too I think.

Although I've not experienced Arctic conditions so no idea how I'd cope with that. Worst very strong winds and minus 13C with windchill minutes 30C if you believe the hilltop assessor who was at the top of helvellyn a minute before us.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Worst very strong winds and minus 13C with windchill minutes 30C
Wind is bad, the lowest I have been is -40C, no wind, it wasn't really that bad, sure a lot of clothes on and some care with one's breathing but otherwise a normal day.

CEngelbrecht

Banned permanently
Dec 25, 2023
Sweden
I seem to remember Desmond Morris came up with this theory years ago in "the naked ape"

No, it was coined by Alister Hardy in 1960. Desmond Morris referenced it briefly in his "The Naked Ape" from 1967. Morris is the one who coined the term "aquatic ape" in that particular book.

Last edited:

CEngelbrecht

Banned permanently
Dec 25, 2023
Sweden
Nope, just nope.

It's based on the premise that we have mostly fur free skins....well so do mole rats.

It's based on a lot more than that.

1280px-Human_Aquatic_Adaptations.png

File:Human Aquatic Adaptations.png – Wikipedia

Naked mole rats don't have subcutaneous fat (as in blubber) for insulation. We do.

We share the vast majority of our genes with the other great apes; 98.8% iirc.
Of course the corollary is that monkeys are 98.8% human :rolleyes2:

That in no way excludes that we're the ape that ventured into shallow water to feed on seafood and evolved into the beach ape that we still are.

Ancestors-Humankind-Odyssey-1.jpg

Anthropologists don't take the AAH theory seriously.

Because it has become an inconvenient truth for them. They didn't come up with it. They reject it like geologists rejected Alfred Wegener.

No fossil evidence,

That's not true.

Aural exostoses (surfer’s ear) provide vital fossil evidence of an aquatic phase in Man’s early evolution

and the lady who postulated it did so as a feminist take agin Desmond Morris' very male centred one on human development.

What can you do? Paleoanthropologists at large still think with their d(...) in the whole debate about human origin. It's still sexist as hell, the b(...) had a point.

The reality is that the things that folks comment upon as being developments because of aquatic living are actually not related. They are seperate developments and they are present in the other great apes too. They're not a result of aquatic living.

Pretty sure there's an easily absorbed big Wiki article about it.
I'll find a link, easier that quoting dozens of archaeology and anthropology texts.

You can start here:
Scars of Evolution – BBC Radio 4
The Waterside Ape – BBC Radio 4

Last edited:

CEngelbrecht

Banned permanently
Dec 25, 2023
Sweden
Flat earth! There's people who will believe anything. I knew a guy who got banned for the correct use of science, maths, physics, etc to disprove theories being discussed on the flat earth society forum. To be fair he was only trolling them. Iirc they kind of acknowledged him as they banned him.

They are absolute nutters though. If you're a logical and argumentative type looking for a bit of fun, sign up to their forum and join the discussions. Lol!

BTW I think AAH is kind of the flat earth theory for anthropologists. I wonder if there's a forum for it too?

Not analogous at all, and it never will be.

Apart from almost all Flat Earth "believers" just taking the p(...) to f(...) with the squares, Flat Earth rejects clear and irrefutable observations that fully supports the Earth being an oblate spheroid floating around the Sun.

how-the-power-lines-at-lake-pontchartrain-louisiana-usa-v0-gg0lpqvd0kz21.jpg

Amongst a host of other irrefutable observations, AAH observes that extant human beings are near-furless mammals with insulating skinfat, and sensing a correlation with water, this based fully on analogies with other mammalian taxa that are demonstrably aquatic, semiaquatic or past semiaquatic.

free-diving-in-dean-s-blue-hole-off-the-coast-of-belize-bahamas

They are not the same.

Last edited:

CEngelbrecht

Banned permanently
Dec 25, 2023
Sweden
there's a tribe that still dive s for all its food today the Moken in thailand.

There's a good handful of them in that part of the world. There are the Sama-Bajau, the Moken, the Orang Laut, the Tanka, the Urak Lawoi and the Jalia Kaibarta. And I would argue that Mediterranean and Californian spearfishers, plus the Ama in Japan and the Haenyeo in Korea count as well.

Last edited:

CEngelbrecht

Banned permanently
Dec 25, 2023
Sweden
Ah, well yes, we are well equiped for coastal environments, and worldwide people have thrived there :) but we're not 'adapted' to live there. It's just one of the chosen habitats that we exploit.

Where would you prefer to suddenly find yourself lost after a plane crash without any tools?

savannah-i71837.jpg

Or:

1000_F_269373773_5FljYhkb6AddkbSyqNkBvx41NANUqJEl.jpg

Where would you actually be capable of surviving, sapiens? Right now?

CEngelbrecht

Banned permanently
Dec 25, 2023
Sweden

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
@CEngelbrecht
Welcome to the forum. This is clearly a topic close to your heart, understandable since your profile lists free diving as your outdoor activity. Are you interested in other aspects of the outdoors, and bushcraft in particular, or was it just this thread that encouraged you to sign up?

We encourage new members to introduce themselves on:

All new members have their first few posts held in a queue to be manually approved before they appear on the forum. You have now made enough posts that your subsequent posts will appear immediately and give other members a chance to reply before you post again.

Best regards

Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE