Self Filling Water Bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisWebb2020

Mar 1, 2016
Kingstanding, Birmingham
Anyone seen these: http://fontus.at/

Water bottle that fills itself by condescending the moisture in the air using a fold out solar panel.

I think this thing has amazing potential, and could very well revolutionise lightweight backpacking and survival situations. (Not to mention the capability for providing clean and safe water for remote communities.)

I don't normally go in for crowd funding, but im seriously considering backing this.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Sounds like a good idea. Dont think water filter sellers will be too impressed mind you.. ;)

Powered by solar cells, Fontus can harvest up to 0,8l water in an hour’s time under the right climatic conditions.

Im totally ignorant of humidity levels in general, so what counts as the right conditions for that situation, a rain storm?

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Why does this remind me of the Bugs Bunny cartoon where he is sold "instant water powder" for a trek into the desert only to find when he really needs it that the instructions are: "Put in canteen, then just add water"?

I note that the accompanying photos show terrain (Austria) where water should be plentiful but may need filtering/purifying. I find I can harvest a litre of water with a DD tarp when the climatic conditions are right. E.g pissing down with rain.

I don't think I will be contributing to crowd funding until I see the relief agencies on board.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
A cool use for a Peltier module ;)

Plus with seven days to launch coincides nicely with the kick off of to Hiking season in the USA and don't forget there's a thirty mile stretch of the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) through desert with little or no water available. I dare say some folk are looking at this with interest and eager to read performance reviews from less than ideal environments.

ChrisWebb2020

Mar 1, 2016
Kingstanding, Birmingham
I'd imagine that 'ideal climate conditions' is something like a rain forest where you can stick the solar panel in the sunshine in a clearing.

Am I right in thinking that physical and biological contaminants would be avoided altogether with this system? (Not sure about chemical contamination, I guess that would be situational.)

I read a review somewhere that said the company is looking to have these things on shelves by Christmas.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
The prototype includes a filter at the top to keep dust and bugs out of the water, but currently it does not include a way to filter out potentially harmful contaminants.

"The water you get is clean, unless the air is really contaminated," Retezár said. "We're thinking about making a bottle that also has a carbon filter, and this one would be for cities or areas where you might think the air is contaminated. But originally, this water bottle was thought to be used in nature, and places where you wouldn't have contaminated air."

Some stuff on google about it

ChrisWebb2020

Mar 1, 2016
Kingstanding, Birmingham
The prototype includes a filter at the top to keep dust and bugs out of the water, but currently it does not include a way to filter out potentially harmful contaminants.

"The water you get is clean, unless the air is really contaminated," Retezár said. "We're thinking about making a bottle that also has a carbon filter, and this one would be for cities or areas where you might think the air is contaminated. But originally, this water bottle was thought to be used in nature, and places where you wouldn't have contaminated air."

Some stuff on google about it
But if the air is contaminated, then we're already probably screwed, unless we've got masks on. Either way, we're not going to be after water in an environment that even the air is deadly.

I'm more curious about how easy it is for bacteria and viruses to travel in water vapour

Last edited:

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
The video does not provide a lot of information but if my experience with computer case fans is anything to go by then regular scrupulous cleaning is going to be required.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Pity the name Mountain Dew is already taken...

Anyways.. found this comment, and i wont pretend to be able to understand what most of the numbers mean, but it would put me off putting any money forward without some definite proof first.

Engineer here. Lemme give you the practical numbers.

Condensing moisture from humidity into water requires 9000 BTU/gal, if the air's already at the dewpoint, 100% humidity. 17 fluid ounces requires 1195 BTU to condense.

If this were the efficiency of a central air conditioner, this would use 92 watt-hrs of electricity.

But we're surely talking about Peltier solid-state cooling, which has not advanced significantly in 25 years or so. If it did, it would be huge news.

Peltiers are like 10th the efficiency of R134a systems. And the performance curve is really critical- if the heatsink gets significantly warm, the performance drops precipitously. Heatsinks have to be huge to actually dissipate the wattage while not being particularly warm themselves.

So you'd need about one kilowatt-hr to make 17 ounces of water in 100% humidity conditions. Just so you know, a fit person pedaling a generator for long periods without going anywhere will generate about 200W, so you'd need 5 hrs of work.

Solar panel tech is about 14.5 watt per sq ft. So to generate 1KW in 4 hours of decent sun a day, that would require over 17 sq ft of solar panels to produce the 250W output to condense 17 oz with a Peltier over the course of the day. This doesn't make a lot of sense, you would not have that much sunlight in 100% humidity conditions.

What that shows is "moisture farming" is fantastically energy-intensive. If you were going to condense water out of the air, you'd use conventional R134a/R410a refrigeration and counterflow heat exchangers. The performance will be an order of magnitude better, but the bottom line STILL makes no sense.

If you had that much power, you'd probably find something better to do with it than making a few oz of water. Water is a thing, but not THAT critical, and if it were, you would not have the means to be doing this sort of huge "solution". Well if you're in a desert with no means of support and dying of thirst, yes 17 oz of drinking water is a big thing, but a massive, expensive solar array would not make any sense as a solution. You need far more water than that to live and farm.

In any case, the proposal does not add up. Nothing that size can condense 17 oz of water a day from solar, even under the most ideal conditions, however unlikely they may be.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE