Secondary Battery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Can I mount a secondary battery inside the back of my Shogun (In to boot area though it is not seperate i.e. like an estate)

I need to know if the battery will give out any nasty fumes?

Cheers

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
The battery will give off hydrogen gas while charging. It won't poison you but it is explosive! I think it would need to be in a ventilated area, if circumstances were wrong there is a chance of explosion. But then again FFR (fitted for radio) Landrovers used to have four huge lead acid batteries in the back just covered by a box, I don't recall any special ventilation. And FFRs were often hardtops, and I only saw one blow up, Well went on fire due to electrical fault.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Cheers all,

I have the plit charger sytem and am happy with setting it up, my concern is the hydrogen Gas!!!

I have had a battery box with lid made up, but am concerned of explosions now!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Does yours not have twin batteris in the engine bay like mine? In Japan the Pajeros had this as a Winter Pack option along with a 40mm body lift on LWB models like mine. I don't know about UK models though, but is the space there?

Hydrogen gas released in the cabin might not be a good idea from a fire risk or even asphyxiation point of view. Nothing stopping you having a sealed battery box made up with a hose vent coming out through a seal somewhere in the body work if you must.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There should be a small pipe on the top of the battery if it is designed fot use inside the vehicle compartment. FFR lead batteries did have a pipe that vented the hydrogen out to atmosphere, it is just a rubber pipe that pushes over the little pipe that sticks out of the top of the battery. The army has moved to gel batteries now, as they are maintenance free, but if you are using lead batteries, make sure you check the levels regularly. If the fluid level drops below the lead plates inside, they can buckle and the battery dies.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Something like this:

imageFA8.JPG

or this:

MVC-061F.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE