Second Knife Attempt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brandon-C

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2017
Highlands
38592841295_42a166ef4b_o.jpg

39441075642_6bb6701f01_o.jpg

So I had a go at making a kiridashi as my first foray into making knives (here) and used the blade from an old stanley plane, well I had another piece of steel left over with the intention of making a small carving/utility knife.
Here's what I came up with: Length is 6.25", Edge is 2", 2mm thick, Full tang, I used chopping board for the scales which could be white oak with pyro'd runes finished with linseed oil, scandi ground with a swedge at the tip, rounded spine and finger choil.

Overall I'm happy with the knife, the scales are tight, edge is sharp and handle is comfortable. That being said there are some scuffs and grind marks from the angle grinder that make it look at bit rough. will have ago at making a leather sheath at some point

All done with a cut off disk and a 80/120 flap disks, scales adhered with gorilla glue, pyro done with heated steel rod in stove, sharpened with stones.

Cheers.

Brandon-C

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2017
Highlands
Not bad, I am sure it will be a joy to use!
It reminds me of the peasant made knives of old in Sweden.

A Kiridashi should have a straight edge, not curved.
Thanks, yeah not the best looking but It'll definitely get used. The kiridashi was the pervious knife I made there's a hyperlink to the post where it says "(here)" but it might be hard to see

Brandon-C

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2017
Highlands
Nice, looks useful.
Nice work. Great to see people having a go with limited equipment producing something to be proud of.

Great little utility knife.

I’m sure it will bring a smile every time you use it.
It'd be nice to have a shop full of power at my dispense but I think being limited definitely forces me think outside the box and I think that can be part of the fun. So thanks I can't wait to get some proper use with it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE