Searching for Bamboo and an Unexpected Encounter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I decided to look for the elusive fire bamboo at a lake which I had not been to before near the foothills of the main range

DSCN2319morning.jpg

DSCN2321morning.jpg

It was a great walk in the morning with an easy trail around the water. The trail was deserted but I noticed a fire a couple of kilometers away. Some one clearing land.

A fishing hut under construction.

DSCN2322.jpg

There was Schizostaycum bamboo though not the same species as the fire making temiang.

DSCN2327Sspp.jpg

Since the morning was so pleasant I decided to just enjoy the walk and test the bamboo on the way back.

DSCN2323log.jpg

This lakeside lodge built by a local pleased me as it was mainly natural materials and in the traditional style The sailboard loft is an amusing innovation.

DSCN2324haus.jpg

I left the lake trail and went into the forest along a little stream to see if there were any falls but no luck. As my purpose was a general survey for later exploration I returned to the trail.
DSCN2330.jpg

DSCN2334.jpg

More tall bamboo but the ‘wrong’ kind

DSCN2332.jpg

A fit looking jogger passed by and I said the obligatory “good morning”; he acknowledged and carried on.

I stopped to talk to a local vegetable farmer who was clearing a plot. We talked at length and I noticed the jogger passing again.

I bid the farmer good bye and carried on and saw the jogger by the side of the trail looking at the water. I nodded and passed. I was a bit suspicious as it is not unknown for walkers to get mugged (or worse) in more frequented places. Being an old codger, I did not want to take on someone half my age and fit.

So I stopped and took another photo.

DSCN2336.jpg

The jogger passed. No greeting from me this time.

I left the trail after he passed and walked parallel to it on high ground and saw him pass again. He was now it a T shirt and shorts. He did not see me.

DSCN2340offtrail.jpg

My frequent companion, Scrub the Borneo dog, had been left behind till I made sure it was safe for her. I now cursed myself for not bringing my parang and only the Mora 2000, which I had planned to review. So a cut a sapling for a walking staff and sharpened the point to a lethal tip.

DSCN2337.jpg

I was a bit cross at having the walk turn out this way. Returning to the trail, I resolved to do what I planned to do snapped a couple of photos. I wonder if these berries are edible.

DSCN2339berries.jpg

The jogger returned. Time to bite the bullet.

“Getting hot now” he said.

I nodded and enquired about his exercise. He said he was training for long distance and entered half marathons.

He walked with me but I took care to keep him a half pace ahead so I had time to use the tip of the staff in case he lunged at me. With my creaky joints, I needed to take him down fast or make him keep his distance.

DSCN2343.jpg

I was trying to remember all the unarmed combat lessons that I never paid attention to in the army and also the TaeKwanDo and Kendo that I did pay attention to but discontinued after reaching the most modest grades possible

So more small talk. Whenever he fell back I stopped and took a photo to keep the distance. I was ready to use the butt end of the staff in case he attacked from the side.

DSCN2347.jpg

I wondered if there was an accomplice further down the track but discounted this. This was an opportunistic job, not a planned one.

I asked him if he’d like his photo taken but he declined saying that he never turned out right in them.

We continued our wary walk. I was ready with the staff. He was going to get punctured if he did anything.

I had learnt from boarding school and a few encounters later in life that even if you know little, surprise, speed, aggression and momentum will get you far as long as you can finish it before the other person recovers. I’m not proud. I’m a screamer, scratcher, biter gouger and I am heavy.

At a picturesque spot where I stopped to take a quick photo, he made his move. Sorry if the picture is a bit out of focus

DSCN2349view.jpg

I’ve encountered and have prepared myself psychologically for many things in the jungle realising it is not a safe place. But he caught me completely by surprise. I never learnt this move in TaeKwanDo

He turned and revealed his bottom covered by the tiniest thong imaginable and asked if I liked gay boys. (Sorry No photos Taken)

I’d like to think that I handled it coolly, like James Bond perhaps, but all I could think of to say in my bewilderment was “ I have 5 kids”

Of course that is immaterial to the question so, quite reasonably, he persisted and asked a more direct question (not for publication on a family site).

The threat evaporating, I gave a more sensible answer which, this time, he understood.

Since I had been so focused on the perceived threat, and ready to injure him, I felt quite bad that I’d overlooked the signs which in retrospect were clear. It’s a dangerous occupation he is engaged in.

I cannot remember his reply but we started walking and I asked him if he came from around there which he did (an impressive 10 km run away). He turned out to be unemployed and quite poor. He asked me for money but I declined and asked if I did give any could I be expect to be asked whenever I met him on the trail. Now we were at the trailhead and he apologised profusely and I told him it was okay, shook his hand and wished him well. He returned to the trail.

As for me, while I will check out the bamboo species there, which I completely forgot about , I will do so from the forested side and keep mainly to the jungle proper and stay away from the recreational side unless I have my doggie Scrub along.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
:lmao: I have been holding my breath reading this, waiting for the tale of high adventure and valiant efforts to keep the mugger at bay... what a sight for sore eyes that must have been :eek: :yuck: Hard to prepare for this in bushcraft training...

Sad to see also what some people have to, or feel they have to do to make a living.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
LOL! Glad it turned out well. I don't know why I'm surprised, I know it happens everywhere in the world, though it seems oddly out of place there for some reason - probably just my own ignorance. Better a bared bottom on his part than a kicked one on yours :lmao:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
You certainly get to see some sites when you are out and about, don't you? I'm glad it didn't turn out to be anything more sinister that what it was.

Nag.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Bloody hell! :D I thought the worst while reading through that lol!

I've not had that problem before, I'll keep your story in mind, although I do get worried when men take an unusual interest, normally it's 'cause I'm lighting a fire but still it can be worrying.

I'm glad you didn't have to use your stick but I imagine that the calm of the walk disappeared, it's nasty when that happens.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE