Scottish Meet Up!! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Quick update on a possible new skill area to explore.

I'm half way through demonstrating pole lathe turning at Kirkleathum museum. I started on Thursday and go right through until Monday. One of the other courses overlapped with mine. It was ancient pottery (neolithic) and was being done by one of the foremost pottery experts in the country - commonly known as Jim the Pot.

I managed to buy a couple of big slabs of red clay from Jim and made some clay spindle whorls for drop spindles and a few pots which are just formed over your clenched fist and tapped into shape with a beef rib. These dried overnight then Jim showed me a method of firing the pots in a campfire. It involves a six inch deep trench, piling the pots in the middle and lighting a small fire at both ends of the trench. This burns for four hours gradually getting bigger so the pots heat up gradually. Finally you put large pieces of wood right across the top of the trench. A draught is pulled in from either end of the trench causing the top pieces of wood to burn and the temperature inside where the pots are to reach 1000 degrees - more than enough to fire the pots. You wait until the top pieces burn through and collapse in among the pots then you heap the soil you excavated from the trench over the top sealing it off and stopping oxygen getting in. This is left overnight and in the morning you carefully open the trench to find your pots done and loads of charcoal from the partly burned wood.

Now, having said all that, I fried sausages in my pot today. Dripping sealed the inside of the pot and the sausages fried lovely. My clay pot is now seasoned and tomorrowI'm going to do sausage and chips at lunch time - in a small clay pot on an open fire.

Anyone fancy trying it out at the weekend meet? It's something we can have a go at during spare moments and fire the pots in the evening. The real work will be done as we sleep so it shouldn't interfere too much with already planned activities.

Oh, nearly forgot. These pots don't need glazing. Tanin seasons them. So drinking red wine, or a few cups of tea will seal them up lovely.

If that's not a good bushcraft skill to have I don't know what is.

Eric

esme

Life Member
Aug 27, 2005
North East
Hello we're new here and not sure about any proceedure. Eric mentioned the scottish meet up at his demonstration this weekend and we would like to come along too if thats ok ? We can bring a youths longbow (plastic). Is a tent ok to use?

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
IMPORTANT PLEASE READ AND ACTION

Sorry to shout just wanted to make sure I had everyones attention. I am trying to keep track of who is all coming and asking you all to post here would make the thread untidy and overly long. So here is what I want you to do.

Send an Email to BCUK@MagiKelly.co.uk and I will collate all these and post the list of who is coming.

In the email include:-

1) Your BCUK name

2) How many are in your group (the split of adults and children too)

3) If you will be sleeping in a tent, hammock, or basha / bivi. (If a tent please give the size )

4) When you expect to arrive and leave

5) Confirm if you are sure that you are coming / available or just provisional. I am not going to hold you to this part it is just to get a solid idea of numbers.

6) This is optional but a mobile number to contact you may be useful. Whether it is to check if you can't get in or to let you know of last minute changes.

I'll give it a few days for everyone to get their emails in and then I will post a summary, which can be updated as anything changes.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I'm just back from a few days caravaning in Aberfoyle with the wife and kids...

I'm made sure to check out the Three Lochs Forest Drive ;) . And I can say it looks a fantastic place to have a meet up, the scenery is specactular.

It's well sign posted from the road and the gate is open from around 10 am to 6pm ish (from the In entrance), the out entrance gate was open all the time.

Andy

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
esme said:
Hello we're new here and not sure about any proceedure. Eric mentioned the scottish meet up at his demonstration this weekend and we would like to come along too if thats ok ? We can bring a youths longbow (plastic). Is a tent ok to use?

Hi Esme and welcome to BCUK. I'm sure it will be fine for you to come along. Please see magickellys post about details etc. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
MagiKelly said:
It is certainly something I would like to try but if I remember correctly we are only allowed to dig at the site for latrines. There is a fire pit formed where we can have a fire but I do not know how suitable it will be for firing pots.

On vulnerable sites re-eanctors use sandbed/ sandbox fires.This pretty much guarantees no damage to the soil. Don't know how feasible it'd be though for pottery.
Any ideas on this Eric? I'd love ago at the pot making. I can bring clay.

Cheers,
Toddy

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i've read about the technique in RMs outdoor survival handbook and i'd like to give it a try.
as to safe fires, there is always the boy scout table fire

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Graham_S said:
i've read about the technique in RMs outdoor survival handbook and i'd like to give it a try.
as to safe fires, there is always the boy scout table fire

What's a table fire? :confused:

Cheers,
Toddy

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
also known as a pedestal/altar fire.
build up layers of logs into a table arrangement either in a log cabin style with a layer of green logs on top. then put a layer of earth several inches thick on top of that. then build the fire on top of that. it's good for cooking on, or using on wet ground. also good in a pine forest with a thickly covered forest floor.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds good. The sandbox is just a framework of timbers filled with at least 15 and more usually 20 to 30 cms of sand. It's very stable but you do have to bring the sand with you to a site usually.
There's a type of domestic hearth fired pottery called Barvas ware. It's fired using peat and waterproofed using milk.....I could bring peat.....
Cheers,
Toddy

MagiKelly

There is a stone circle on the ground specifically for fires so there is no problem with having a fire. We do theoretically have to wait till after 6pm but that is a bit flexable. So there is not problem with a site for a fire, it is just we cannot dig a pit for firing pottery. If we can fire the pottery on an open fire then there is no problem.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
the other pit version of pottery firing I've seen done at an archaeology event was very similar, except they dug a pit, lined it with kindling and wood shavings/sawdust, and buried the potery pieces in the sawdust and covered them with some of it. Then they covered this with a layer of thin branches, then built a really big fire on top of this, and left this fire burning for 2-3 hours - as hot as possible.

When the whole thing had cooled, the pots were removed, and had a black permanent glaze to them from the sawdust oxidising around them.

Apparently, submersing the pots in milk and boiling them was a common way to make them watertight - the casein in the milk collects in the pots pores and coagulates when it cooks.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
MagiKelly said:
. it is just we cannot dig a pit for firing pottery. If we can fire the pottery on an open fire then there is no problem.

Is there a sandy spot on the Lochside you could dig a pit then fill it in again.
Does it have to be a pit or can you fire it under a hump?? ;)

MickT

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The pit is just a convenient way of getting a draught into the fire from either end. We can do it with an alter fire although it will get hot enough to melt mild steel plate so we have to have good insulation on the base and sides of whatever we're using. Let me ponder on it for a while and I'll come up with a solution.

Eric

MagiKelly

Attached is the summary of who is coming so far. 26 / 27 on Friday and Saturday night. 11 tents, 5 hammocks and 2 Bashas. Does not seem too crowded yet . Also there are a few provisionals and a few people have still to email. For example I know Sandbender is coming but have not included him yet.

So if anyone sees a mistake in there information let me know and if you have still to email me do so as the instructions in my previous post.

I wil be going to the site on Thursday for another look around so will report back after then.

Attachments

• MeetUp.pdf
    10.6 KB · Views: 33
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE