Wanted Scorp/skorp s for use with scouts/Explorers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Hi
I used a scorp/skorp for making spoons some time ago. I have used “normal” spoon knives for a long time, but noticed that beginners found the scorp easier to manoeuvre than a fixed right- or left-handed spoon knife.
Does anyone have one or more for sale, please? I’m looking for “good used” as I don’t have a lot of money to spend- our troop has suffered a drop in numbers over Covid so I’m going to buy the kit myself to use with the kids.
ATB

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I think you will struggle with cheap loop knives, scorps. Mine range from £60 upwards. I think the Lee Stoffer one is going in the region of £120 new.
Dave Budd makes a nice loop knife. Although I think he isn’t going to be a cheap option.
They don’t come up on the second hand market often and when they do theyre snapped up.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You don't need a spoon knife to carve a good spoon.

You can scratch the curve out of the spoon to exactly the same curve like the curve on the knife. That's usually deep enough. It surely takes a bit longer but otherwise it is the more independent skill of course.

I carved quite a lot of spoons but never owned such a special spoon knife.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You don't need a spoon knife to carve a good spoon.

You can scratch the curve out of the spoon to exactly the same curve like the curve on the knife. That's usually deep enough. It surely takes a bit longer but otherwise it is the more independent skill of course.

I carved quite a lot of spoons but never owned such a special spoon knife.

Yep, and if you want to turn a group of kids off carving spoons, use this method. They'll lose interest in five minutes :)

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Brock / Erbswurst,

Thanks for your comments. Have to agree that scraping with a standard knife is not the way I'd go with 10 yrs old Scouts. I've tried burning out the bowl, but that can be hit and miss.

I understand that gaining a skill just using a single knife is worth the effort; unfortunately, younger children may not have the patience and not many will see the value of the skill straight off - better to give them success via a curved knife to begin with, then go for a more challenging approach IMHO.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Crosslandkelly - thanks for the videos: one of our team is a skilled metal worker so we might make some progress with DIY.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There are lots of used/junk farrier's hoof trimming knives floating about with the horse and cattle people. By the time they are worn down to be unusable, there's still a lifetime of wood carving steel in each one. PLUS, there's a very effective scorp in the tip of the curved blade.
I have modified Hall, Mora, Diamond and Ukal knives for wood carving. Less than 3 dozen I think. I have some spares that I work up and send off as gifts. The factory handles are adequate. I bashed off some of them and hafted the blades to my own liking.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
There are lots of used/junk farrier's hoof trimming knives floating about with the horse and cattle people. By the time they are worn down to be unusable, there's still a lifetime of wood carving steel in each one. PLUS, there's a very effective scorp in the tip of the curved blade.
I have modified Hall, Mora, Diamond and Ukal knives for wood carving. Less than 3 dozen I think. I have some spares that I work up and send off as gifts. The factory handles are adequate. I bashed off some of them and hafted the blades to my own liking.
Thanks for those pointers. I don't know if there's an active farrier in my area. I will contact the vet and ask.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There are two farriers that are kept pretty busy here. In this mountain valley, lots of ranches and lots of horses and cattle. After the fall round-ups in the high grazing leases, and cattle drives down to valley bottom pastures, everybody wants their horses to run barefoot for the winter so shoe pulling and trimming is the game right now.

These were farrier's knives, mostly Mora 171 if my memory serves. The little one is for sheep and goats, the scorps got cut off one pair. My handles are glue-ups of rosewood and mahogany. All angles are 15 degrees with #18 nylon whipping.
Surface haftings do not pull loose.
HaidaC.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE