Scared of litigation? or Common Sense?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
I was planning to take my two boys, aged 11 & 13 to the Scottish meet on 16 & 17th Sept. When i checked with their mum, i was reminded that my oldest has a German exchange student staying for a week and he arrives on the 15th :eek: Not a problem i thought, he could come along too. So i checked with the school that this would be ok, you need the schools ok for any outside school activities whilst the students are here, and i was told that he couldn't go as it was in a list of activities described as 'dangerous' and to be 'avoided' :( . I asked what else was on this list of dangerous activities and i was told, 'things like swimming'!!! Is this country going totally crazy or is it just me?

Dave

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I blame 'Scams Direct'. And how do they manage to get such stupid people to appear on their adverts? Yesterday I walked in a Burger King (not Elvis reincarnated, but the fast 'food' store. Don't look at me like that-I was desperate!) and promptly slipped on the unmarked washed floor and fell on my ****. Yes it hurt, but hey, that's life. I've paid to experience more pain than that before. I'm still alive and have no sign of any incident at all today. Anyway, the manager was fawning all over me and gave me my 'meal' for free. Guess he was scared as I would have had a very good claim as far as 'Scams Direct' are concerned, and probably would have got enough to buy a supercharger for my car, but hey, I've actually got a conscience and a little streak of honesty. Glad the meal was free though as it was truly awful, and they don't do mushrooms anymore!!!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Yeah they taste almost like a flame grilled jobbie, but what happened to the choice of fillings? I seem to remember that BK were famous for their bit about having it your way, but now they are just another Whammy Burger. Not good...

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Spacemonkey said:
Yeah they taste almost like a flame grilled jobbie

ITYF they taste *exactly* like a flame-grilled jobbie. (Scottish bushcrafters may get my drift)

Admittedly an improvement on McDs lukewarm jobbie in a bun, presuming they haven't changed in the 15 years since I was last in...

Jim.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I know its interesting to speculate on what kind of junk McDs and BK make their product from :rolleyes: (note I haven't honoured it with the title "food"), but we are getting a long way off topic.

As topics go it was an interesting one as information. I wouldn't have thought about a having to seek such permission, however having thought about it, it does not surprise me at all.

I don't know if this sort of thing has been talked about before. I know that both Ed and Lithril have some truely astounding stories of dealing with organisations that "care" about/for children and so on.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Doesn't surprise me either. When you look at the list of things that are going on, the lack of legaly qualified instructors and the fact that not all folk are into these things(and might not have envisaged sending their kids off to that kind of environment), assurances like "There will be a doctor there" and "The boats will have radios on them" mean very little.

Different when it's youngsters you know.. ..what they might get up to and what they're capable of doing(like swimming).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE