Saxe Knife idea!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
Has anyone made a Saxe knife for bushcraft use, Looked in the search but nothing came up. Was a popular knife in the UK for a Long while, I understand the Length may be a issue but for camp use, but throwing it out to the forum!!!

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
Well Thats 3 different ways I have seen it spelt, but yes one of those!!! Length issue was in keeping with what looks like the popular design of some 6"-10". just found another name for them too Scramseax in http://www.regia.org/seax.htm. Always learning, Anyway back to the question. Has anyone on the forum made one, ie photos n such.

cheers Bushwacker bob

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
by seax, do you mean the iconic yet short lived broken back style of blade? Seaxes came in a variety of shapes and sizes ;)

Assuming you do mean the broken back (or Honey Lane) style, then yes. My own everyday knife that gets used for everything from skinning and butchering game, whittling spoons and stirring my tea is a 4" straight edged broken back :)

EDC2007a.jpg
this is it about 4 years ago, its a little more 'used' now!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've made a few big seax blades recently. I made a couple of large full tang broken back blades at he request of a forum member (who's name and contact info I've since lost, so te blades are sitting around waiting for him to come forward or me to stick them up for general sale :rolleyes: ). Or there's the pattern welded ones here.
multi1.jpg

I've also got a couple of historically accurate broken backs in the final throws of making in the workshop. Both around the 7" mark, one with antler on the handle and the other hawthorn. The antler one has a black leather sheath that is laced up, the hawthorn one has a brown leather sheath with brass edgings.

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
Well my next question was did you do any larger ones, but you have beat me too it. Dont suppose you want to trade or sell the top blank one??? It is very nice!!!

All very nice knives by the way!!! What appeals to you about the style???

Jay

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
thats the ones! beautiful blades they drew my eye instantly. if i had the cash i would snap them up in an instant.

I've made a few big seax blades recently. I made a couple of large full tang broken back blades at he request of a forum member (who's name and contact info I've since lost, so te blades are sitting around waiting for him to come forward or me to stick them up for general sale :rolleyes: ). Or there's the pattern welded ones here.
multi1.jpg

I've also got a couple of historically accurate broken backs in the final throws of making in the workshop. Both around the 7" mark, one with antler on the handle and the other hawthorn. The antler one has a black leather sheath that is laced up, the hawthorn one has a brown leather sheath with brass edgings.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Well my next question was did you do any larger ones, but you have beat me too it. Dont suppose you want to trade or sell the top blank one??? It is very nice!!!

All very nice knives by the way!!! What appeals to you about the style???

Jay

These were a bit of an experiment, I'd never tried multibar pattern welding like this before. They stuck together fine with no flaws in the welding, which was good :) The top one had some flaws in the material at the edge, they show as small cracks within the blade; nothing that will effect it functionally but too flawed for me to sell on I'm afraid :( The bottom one is without fault but I didn't get quite the pattern I was after, so now I can't decide whether to sell it as is or finish it up. btw, the picture was taken pre-heat treat and with an exploritory etch to see what was there. They have since been heat treated and properly finished, so they look much better!

as to what appeals to me about the style? Dunno really, its just another shape to make I guess. I like the straight cutting edge for using, so often I need an edge and a tip but the belly is of no use. Also if another shaped blade has a fault, then it can often be cut down into a broken back or sheeps foot sort of shape ;)

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
Shame you wont sell it, flaw in the blade is like a scar on your body. Every one of them tells a tale and gives you character, Its the shape that appeals to me. Mixed in with its historic past!!! :D If you do want to trade or sell it you know where I am. Thanks for sharing too!!!

Jay:)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i'll give it some thought. :) There is way too much work in it to scrap it, so my only real options aside from selling in the knowledge of flaws is to cut it up for jewelery or keep it for myself. I don't need another knife and the pattern doesn't really lend itself to jewelery :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE