SASS Ventile smock questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Hi I am on the look out for an olive green ventile smock, I liked the Bison bushcraft one except I thought that smocks we're an over-the-head-jobby rather than with full front zip? Which means ones less thing to go wrong. So was lookin at the SASS smock, I am aware that this has been talked about before and I know that it's not always available in ventile, but have a few questions to ny owners of the jacket.
I liked the fact that the Bison smock was thin and comfortable enough to be worn as a shirt as well as an outer layer, Is the SASS smock the same? can it be worn as a shirt, sleeves roll-upable?
Can I buy the ventile and send it to SASS? so I don't have to wait til they're available.
And any comments really about how lovely they are, sizing porblems etc

Many thanks

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hi fella,

okee dokee, the SASS ventile smock is basically a copy of an SAS windproof smock made from ventile cotton. It is not an 'over the head' type smock, it has a main central zip. You can use it like a shirt, the sleeves are 'roll up-able'.

Having said that, if you contact Paul at SASS he will bend over backwards to make the smock to your spec's. If you go to thier website you can see what they offer as standard. My advice to you is make a wish list of features you want the smock to have, look at what they already offer, then discuss it with Paul, he's very accommodating.

I have had SASS smocks for 17 years, in cotton and ventile, DPM, desert and olive green and i can honestly say, hand on heart, that they are without doubt the best bit's of kit i have accquired. I still use my original Kit karry smock that i bought in 1990!

Well made, good, honest value for money. Hard wearing, comfortable, made to measure clothing that does exactly what it says on the tin. I have bought smocks for nearly twice the price that are not half as good. If you're going to the Moot this year, i'm sure you'll see one or two, i'll have mine (i never go anywhere without it!).

I'm sure there are a few other members on here that will back me up on this as well (Silverback, put a pic up not so long back, i'll try to get the link)

If you choose to go down this route, you will not regret it!

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20351&highlight=SASS

This might help!

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I have an SASS smock in Ventile - quite a few people here do, which says something! Excellent quality and above all great value. I have mine a bit oversized for serious layering in winter. Top kit in everything but persistent heavy rain - immersion really - when the water will seep through after a while, but that's the material rather than the build or anything. For a simpler over-the-head smock I think the best there is is Snowsled, but they are expensive. I have a 2nd hand one which is pretty old now and I tend to wear it with just a tee shirt underneath in milder weather. I wear it all the time! The SASS smock design sized a bit smaller would work well as a light summer smock, and as Jedadiah said, SASS will certainly try to help. All in all a very good option!

BTW, there is an excellent article on Ventile in the latest BCUK Magazine, explaining the material weights, design uses, etc., if you can get hold of a copy. It would inform your choices I think!

Chris

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Thanks very much guys for your input. And I will try to repay the favour.... if u ever need info on um... ice cream... or tai chi?... :eek:.

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
I'd just echo the other comments about the SASS Ventile smock. Brilliant bit of kit and something I wouldn't want to be without.

Being a sucker for jackets though I'd say the BCUK Ventile is also a fantastic buy.
Really good fit, excellent waterproofing, comfortable and not too military looking (SWMBO's preference)

Mike

Not alot to add really I've had various smocks over the years in varying patterns cotton, cotton gaberdine, rip stop etc even one with a sympatex drop liner, but the SASS one is superior by far and Paul will do all he can to help you.
Many folk here have them, and lets face it SASS built their reputation by supplying Servicemen with the right gear for the job when no-one else would.
Great kit top value brilliant service nuff said.
Cheers Tim

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Rain Man,

advice on Tai Chi and Icecream is ALWAYS welcome. Tell me, could Tai Chi be incorporated into Chi Kung or is it best left seperate? Of course, i would be wearing my SASS ventile at the time (just to stay on subject!). Oh yes and are you a good driver?:D

Rain Man,

advice on Tai Chi and Icecream is ALWAYS welcome. Tell me, could Tai Chi be incorporated into Chi Kung or is it best left seperate? Of course, i would be wearing my SASS ventile at the time (just to stay on subject!). Oh yes and are you a good driver?:D

IS Chi Kung, not the process of centering and drawing energy prior to the practice of Tai Chi?
Have a decent DVD by Mr Montegue on the subject if your interested?(who does private tuition for £20/hour)
CheersTim

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
Hi Rainman,

Got an olive green large SASS smock made from cotton Gaberdine for sale in the 'member classified' section if you're interested. Extremely windproof and it's been proofed with nikwax cotton proof stuff to make it more weatherproof.

Fifty notes including postage - bargain!

Cheers

Joe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE