SAS bushcraft webbing pouches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 20, 2012
Essex
Hello there all,

Let me start by saying that I am totally new to this whole forum thing. So please forgive me if I haven't got a clue what I'm doing.

I'm not exactly sure where to post my question so I was hoping that I could just do it here and hope for the best or that some kind soul would come to my aid.

I am actually after doing a bit of a trade as it happens. I am looking for two very particular and, as I have discovered, very rare webbing pouches to add to my bushcraft belt order.

I am looking for The SAS 58 pattern 'drop pouches'. I believe they were in use in the 70's and 80's. I need the drop twin armalite pouch and the larger drop E&E/kidney pouch. Ideally they need to be fairly new in condition. I have a whole garage full of unused brand new PLCE that's up for trading.

Please let me know if you can assist in any way at all.

Many thanks in advance,

Ollie W.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Survival Aids in Cumbria used to sell these years ago you could try them they may have old stock, also may be an idea to search military re-enactors forums.
Good luck.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Are you sure it was 58 pattern?

Are you thinking of the nylon 74 pattern that had the twin 5.56 pouches on each side and the large bum bag all connected on the belt and the yoke. This was a complete unit and couldn't be broken down like 58 into its component webbing parts.

Liam

D

DavidBFPO

hello,
The Israeli Patt Vest or very early SAS trial of the kit you mentioned Miyagi was the fore runner to the modern PLCE vests.
The webbing pouches Ollie refers to were SAS 58 Pattern. I have a complete belt order of these from my service. They're similar to
the 58 patt webbing but have rear extra length loops aka 'Limpet' some have waterproof liners (butt pack) & can be worn with
the 58 patt at the same time or as I did spare belt order worn at waste level beneath the webbing belt with yolks.
They are canvas but slightly smaller darker O.G in colour & superior to 58 issue patt webbing.
I'd suggest Silvermans Ltd UK or SASS who also have an e-bay SASS kit website. SASS did have a range of modern
PLCE webbing with limpet fixings.
http://stores.ebay.com/sasskit http://www.sasskit.co.uk
http://www.silvermans.co.uk/Product...ry/Category/WEBBING/id/1/Text/75/Default.aspx
think there's a problem with posting as I've replied to this earlier & it's not showing up on screen..hmmm??
Anyway, welcome to the forum Ollie.
Regards
David
Are you sure it was 58 pattern?

Are you thinking of the nylon 74 pattern that had the twin 5.56 pouches on each side and the large bum bag all connected on the belt and the yoke. This was a complete unit and couldn't be broken down like 58 into its component webbing parts.

Liam

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Ahhh, I'm with you now.

Thanks for the clarification David, I know the one's you and Ollie W mean.

To be honest I'd forgotten all about these and didn't recognise them from the drop down description.

Cheers lads.

Liam

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
the bits on ebay arent the real ones, its just standard pouches that have been tailored unfortunately.
heres a pic of some of my old school kit. you can see on the beltkit that i have the 30rd armalit pouches and i do own the mess tin pouch as well but its not in the photo.
DSC00263.jpg

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
OOOOOoooooh, the old GS Bergan too - still got mine.

Liam

Its a SAS/Para Bergen.... You can tell by the poppers on the side pouches and the tie down tabs on the lid... I know I'm sad.....

mdurston... Have you been in a Time machine and been raiding the RQMS stores back in Sterling Lines circa 1985.....

If so what colour is the Boat Shed??

Or have you been hitting eBay a lot????

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Its a SAS/Para Bergen.... You can tell by the poppers on the side pouches and the tie down tabs on the lid... I know I'm sad.....

mdurston... Have you been in a Time machine and been raiding the RQMS stores back in Sterling Lines circa 1985.....

If so what colour is the Boat Shed??

Or have you been hitting eBay a lot????

Hahahahaha, I'll need to have another look at mine when I get home - though I'm sure mine's just the bog standard GS.

Liam

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i went through a stage of buying up old school kit on ebay , militaria fairs etc. i've still got that 85 pattern mug i brought off you in 2009 johnboy lol
the SAS/PARA bergen is a proper covert issue one as issued to the regiment lads, its covert cos theres no ink stamp under the lid which normally says something like 'CQC RUCKSACK, SAS'. the straps have been replaced for PLCE ones COS the originals had been cut by someone.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
i went through a stage of buying up old school kit on ebay , militaria fairs etc. i've still got that 85 pattern mug i brought off you in 2009 johnboy lol
the SAS/PARA bergen is a proper covert issue one as issued to the regiment lads, its covert cos theres no ink stamp under the lid which normally says something like 'CQC RUCKSACK, SAS'. the straps have been replaced for PLCE ones COS the originals had been cut by someone.

Aye I remember that mug I had many a burnt lip and cold brew out of that... Only joking I hope its going well for you...

Your kit layout is very retro... Like looking a C+S magazine circa 1985 you need a US Aircrew knife on the belt kit or an issue tree beater and a bit of rigging line... Anyhow all of this old kit banter is not getting the OP his Bushcraft SAS pouches...

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
the bits on ebay arent the real ones, its just standard pouches that have been tailored unfortunately.
They did that too though didn't they?

I remember picking up a set from silvermans a while back crazy prie for what they were though

I'd advocate getting to a military fair like war and peace if you can...

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
They did that too though didn't they?

I remember picking up a set from silvermans a while back crazy prie for what they were though

I'd advocate getting to a military fair like war and peace if you can...

You're right, they did. A lot of the 'escape pouches' and so on were just issue kit the seamstress used to alter to the guys own spec on base.

We used to do a lot of sneaky running with the SAS on board, and I remember having this chat once with a few of them over a brew on the engine room platform when they were standing around getting ready to go, waiting for the sea state to calm down a little. No two guys had the same belt rig. It was all down to an individual preference how you carried your stuff, and going by the pee taking amongst them, it seemed in a constant state of flux how it was done.

So ends my knowledge of steely eyed bringers of deaths manbags.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
heres a pic of some of my old school kit. you can see on the beltkit that i have the 30rd armalit pouches and i do own the mess tin pouch as well but its not in the photo.
DSC00263.jpg

Nice collection. I see a set of '72 pattern on the left but with the mesh harness, chest rig style? I have the original with 58 pattern style yoke still, had it for decades now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE