(Sambar) antler stag handles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
The last 2/3 days I've trawled through a gazillion posts on here and BB but can't find a clear and satisfying answer.

- What's it all about with antler and water? Will the slabs bend or not when becoming wet (as I found some posts that either say the opposite)?

- Will an antler handle become slippy when wet or blood covered?

- How will antler react when in hot temperatures (would you bring an antler handled knife to (say for example) Namibia (excluding the question if it would be smart or wise to do, regarding theft / airport / loss / etc.)?

- How to take care for such a knife (the handle that is)?

:confused:

Thanks in advance for the input my friends :beerchug:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Depends on the quality. A good, well made, correctly sealed handle, will stand up to all harsh environmental hazards. No warping etc. but good antler is very expensive, and very hard to work with. You can find that only when you are near to finishing the knife handle, does it turn out to be less than perfect. A good bladesmith will have spare blades on standby just in case.

All you need to look after your handle, is a little Ren wax. It is no more slippy than micarta, although the weight might put alot of people off.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I agree. It depends on the quality of the antler and the quality of the maker. I love stag grips, even the extra weight doesn't bother me none. But those seem to be the knives that I end up giving away. The last, a Puma 900 Earl, lockback folder with stag scales was handed to an elder when he asked if anyone had a knife he could borrow. Yep, the same one that was handed to me by a good friend. :) I suppose that it'll end up going full circle eventually. :D

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I have stag handles on most of my knives, they do keep my hands from slipping when covered in b...d and g.ts better than any other material so far. My bush knife has linen micarta handle on it it is matched to another knife that I have. RA :lmao: you gotta start carrying something less attractive when around elders they do that on purpose :D :p and pass that to them :beerchug:
RA!!! PS: feeling a little better will start lacing soon ;)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Cheers for the replies guys!!

P7perfect said:
Depends on the quality. A good, well made, correctly sealed handle[/B], will stand up to all harsh environmental hazards. No warping etc. but good antler is very expensive, and very hard to work with. You can find that only when you are near to finishing the knife handle, does it turn out to be less than perfect. A good bladesmith will have spare blades on standby just in case.

All you need to look after your handle, is a little Ren wax. It is no more slippy than micarta, although the weight might put alot of people off.

Thus, for example - there will be no warping on your AW's? As you said in another thread: never heard of any prob's with non - Woodlores.

(OK - I admit, I really like your RWL-34 with stag slabs - hence my questions ... :eek: Must resist ... - tough one, a brochure is on it's way :eek: ).

Anything else I must be aware of with a stag handle?
(Weight - I like a bit more handle-heavy knife too)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I have to admit, I do love my AW with antler slabs, but I also like the same knife with black micarta and red spacers, that is really sexy, just ordered one. It's less expensive too at £185, the antler was £250.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Carcajou Garou said:
I have stag handles on most of my knives, they do keep my hands from slipping when covered in b...d and g.ts better than any other material so far. My bush knife has linen micarta handle on it it is matched to another knife that I have. RA :lmao: you gotta start carrying something less attractive when around elders they do that on purpose :D :p and pass that to them :beerchug:
RA!!! PS: feeling a little better will start lacing soon ;)

Makes me happy to hear you are feeling better! Yeah, I know all about their tricks. Getting there myself. :D I don't mind really. Most of my knives come as gifts and gifted weapons are meant to be given..........eventually.......maybe. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE