SAK sharpening?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
I've found that the microbevel on an SAK is way too small to sharpen easily, and the blade's flat ground and very thin, so it would be hard to re-grind.

Any tips for sharpening it?

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Mors Kochanski describes the angle you need to use in his book. depending on the blade width you probably need it about 2/3 pennies high at the back of the blade...

i dunno if thats what you meant :)

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
With little blades like that, I find they never get really blunt. To touch them up, I wind a car window down and stroke the blade back and forth on both sides to reset the edge. A chefs' steel would do the job, but I don't have one. I have access to a car window, so I use that! At home, in the kitchen, I use the bottom of a mug.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
With little blades like that, I find they never get really blunt. To touch them up, I wind a car window down and stroke the blade back and forth on both sides to reset the edge. A chefs' steel would do the job, but I don't have one. I have access to a car window, so I use that! At home, in the kitchen, I use the bottom of a mug.

I've seen this on TVbut never actually tried it out.... Now I'm definately going to give it a go :D

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I hone all my blades on the edge of my glass IKEA kitchen shelf after sharpening on a DC4 and that’s what I do with my SAKs. That’s not to say it’s the right thing to do :)

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
The micro bevel on the SAK is a product of the blade width and the thickness of the steel. As I know the SAK´s have an angle of 16° each side!

It isnt too small because you need this angle for good cutting ability.
try the edding methode for great results.
In this case you have to color the cutting bevel with an edding (waterproof) and then get on the sharpening stone.
You easily see, when you are at the right angle, because the edding get grinded off.

With this method you can sharpen any blades and you ever have the right angle.

hope this helped
cheers
Mike

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
I convex mine;
sandpaper 220 grit or so up to 800 grit or so, then leather hone with black/green compound......fast to re-sharpen, pops hair....

Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
The micro bevel on the SAK is a product of the blade width and the thickness of the steel. As I know the SAK´s have an angle of 16° each side!

It isnt too small because you need this angle for good cutting ability.
try the edding methode for great results.
In this case you have to color the cutting bevel with an edding (waterproof) and then get on the sharpening stone.
You easily see, when you are at the right angle, because the edding get grinded off.

With this method you can sharpen any blades and you ever have the right angle.

hope this helped
cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I do mine on a mousemat/wet and dry block, it convex's it obviously and shaves hair without effort, the edge is also more durable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE