Sabre, Vulcan or Atlas ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NuclearPower

Feb 9, 2005
Sweden
Splendid :)

Yes, I will carry heavy loads and winter trekking is fun :chill:
How good is sabre for heavy loads ?? Actually, this is my main concern.
So... the question is now...for heavy loads (round 50 kgs) Berghaus or Sabre ?? What do you say ?

:banghead:

NuclearPower

Feb 9, 2005
Sweden
I have loaned a Karrimor Condor 60/100. I think it was manufactured in 1991.
Is the SA backsystem of the Condor the same as in the SABRE ??
If not, what are the differences?

NuclearPower

Feb 9, 2005
Sweden
Dear all....thanx for all the advice and opinions. :You_Rock_

Today, I walked into a shop for trying (note: NOT buying) some new backpacks.
I tried the Berghaus, Vulcan and Atlas....it was OK!
I tried some Arcteryx.....it was OK!
I tried the Ospreys.....OK!
I tried the Norröna...It was OK!
I tried Lundhags and Haglöfs....well....

And then.. my Ladies and Gentlemen....I tried the Bergans Viking.
It fitted perfectly :shock: . Exactly as i wanted it, except from weight and sevenhoundred and one zippers , pockets and straps.....but who cares (Now I can even bring a full bottle of Single malt due to the x-tra comfort :biggthump ). I loaded it with all gear I could find and I could dance (Kossac-dance :super: ) with it on my back
So i bougt it for....eh....410 Euro...I just love my wife :eek:):

I plan to give you my fair opinion of it after the summer...Cheers..

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
May be a bit late but I used the Vulcan for my latest :Crazy_071 Norway jaunt and it was great - carried all my winter gear in comfort and thanks to the harness was very stable when on snow shoes. :biggthump

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
True but its hard to carve a spoon when doing a red run!! :rolmao: That said the pack would still be nice a stable whether skiing or climbing ect ect

bushwakka

Feb 10, 2005
wherever I lay my soul
I've not yet tried the Sabre but what appeals to me is that its capacity can be expanded from 60 to 100 litres. The Berghaus vulcan can not so when carrying reduced loads the pack cannot be adjusted and your kit will be loose and not be carried most efficiently.

One other thing to bear in mind with the Vulcan is that it comes in something like 4 sizes according to your back length (height). Make sure you choose the right size for you.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
bushwakka said:
I've not yet tried the Sabre but what appeals to me is that its capacity can be expanded from 60 to 100 litres. The Berghaus vulcan can not so when carrying reduced loads the pack cannot be adjusted and your kit will be loose and not be carried most efficiently.

One other thing to bear in mind with the Vulcan is that it comes in something like 4 sizes according to your back length (height). Make sure you choose the right size for you.

Good point about the sizing to back length - but the Vulcan does have compression straps on the side too however I personally have never needed them as a small load goes in the day sack (say for weekends and such) so i only use the rucksack for longer trips.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE