Sabre 45L Cheapish & a couple of questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

toonboy

Hi all

I have been lurking on the forums for a few weeks now and picked up some very good advice, and I thought it was time to pay it back. Most of you probably know about this site, it may be helpful for newbies like myself.

I was looking for a new rucsac and quite liked the spec of the Karrimor Sabre SF 45L, and after some of the recomendations on this forum, I tried to purchase one as cheaply as possible.

I was basically looking at about £80 for the sac which I wasn't too happy with so i trawelled the net, and came up with this site www.pri.uk.com . They don't have there prices online, so I emailed them for a catalogue and price list.

I received the catalogue and price list the next day, and I couldn't believe my eyes - Karrimor Sabre 45L -£58.75 + P&P (£8.00). A saving of approx £22.

Needless to say I ordered one and I am now a happy owner of a new Sabre 45.

So to my questions,

Is there a manual of all the straps and clips (I haven't bought a new sac in over 12 years :shock: )?

Also, what is the best way to pack your sack?

I will be going camping (site) in April with my girlfriend who has never been camping before and we will be doing a bit of light walking (scarfell pike), and would like to know what type of clothing and kit is essential?

cheers for any help
Marc

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well done mate - PRI IS THE ONLY PLACE TO GET KARRIMOR PACKS, I have gotten all my old ones from there- unless you want to pay over the odds of course! :?:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
toonboy said:
Also, what is the best way to pack your sack?

I will be going camping (site) in April with my girlfriend who has never been camping before and we will be doing a bit of light walking (scarfell pike), and would like to know what type of clothing and kit is essential?

cheers for any help
Marc

Hi Marc. Welcome to the forum.

Good find on the sabre. As far as packing goes try and keep heavy stuff close to your back and towards the bottom or middle of the sac. Use the pockets to keep things you need quickly or often (water, 1st aid kit, waterproof jacket, etc.) Pick up the bag when you've filled it if it feels top heavy or off balance it will be when you are wearing it.

Clothing is a bit different. Peoples recomendations on here are designed for bushcraft and often use cotton so stuff doesn't melt with sparks from the fire. Walking Scarfell you want clothes to keep the wind and rain out, gore tex that sort of thing. Most important is comfortable boots I would think.

Bill

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I got mine from PRI too. Cracking kit, and not too military looking. I think it is based on the Karrimor 'Hot Ice' civillian rucsacs.

You can use the side straps to attatch sleeping mats/bashas etc, or you can fit surplus PLCE side pouches (£5 to £10 on ebay, including yoke - they are a very slightly different olive shade and add 10 litres each side). This gives you a lot of flexibility as you then have a 45 litre sac, a 65 litre sac, or put the two side pouches on a yoke for a 20 litre daysac.

Alternatively you can just tighten the side straps to make a snug non-rattling pack.

The bits of rope at your hips are for rope.

beach bum

On a new journey
Jul 15, 2004
cardiff
PRI top people, I had mine delivered next day. If memory serves me right is'nt there an issue with zip off pouches as supplied by PRI being too big to fit the Sabre 45. I'm wanting pouches for mine but can't seem to find them :shock:
Anyone know where I can get them in olive greeen??

regards

beach bum

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I got the second hand plce poches for my sabre 45 from surplus and adventure. unfortunately they didn't come with the yoke. If memory serves they were 19 quid....

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Got one too, great pack... added the plce side pockets too on mine, but not really needed.

No manual that i've found but there's a few packing guides out there (not bushcraft specific though).

Field and Trek used to have one on this page:
http://www.fieldandtrek.com/technical.asp?=
(i can't see it now though)

Think there's also a page or so in one of the Ray Mears books ("Bushcraft" one)

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I would imagine that there is a tardis type explanation for this, but when i added the plce pouches i seemed to mysteriously end up with less space to put things. Really weird. It's like everything expanded to compensate for the space. :?:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Packing a Sabre 45...

I was on a Woodlore fundamental course last year, the Sabre 45 was very popular with the instructors and a mini lecture was given suggesting a kit list and packing methodology, doesnt really work for me as I have a buffalo sleeping bag which takes up pretty much all the available space in the main pack.

A tidied up and digitised version of the instructors thoughts is to be found here...

http://homepage.mac.com/andrewrush/Pictures/Gear/Gear.html

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
nice one sandbender. looks great.
What do you do now? i'm in the same position with my new sleeping bag, does take up the whole main compartment.... not been out with it all yet, but i'm thinking i'll need to strap it on the bottom.

cheers :)
Carlo

leon-1

Nice pack :biggthump

As far as Scafell Pike is concerned as Bill says the weather is a major concern, the weather there can change very rapidly and it is very windy and hits in gusts.

I would suggest that you give Helvellyn a go first, it is quite a hard walk, but very satisfying in the end. It will also allow you to try your kit out first (if it aint warm enough for Helvellyn it won't be good enough for Scafell).

Stout boots with good ankle support are a must, a reasonable windproof/waterproof jacket, take a warm top, if you stop for any period of time you could well need it (don't wear it whilst walking you'll overheat), a hat + gloves, a light first aid kit with a crepe bandage or something that will give support in the event that one of you twist your ankle.

Some high energy foods (Kendal mint cake or something along those lines), a flask and brew kit and whatever normal food you wish. Whistle and torch are also advisable along with your map and compass.

If you have a bothy bag or some form of lightweight shelter they could come in handy as well.

Don't overload yourself, but still carry the essentials and take it at a reasonable pace, it is safer, it allows you to see more and enjoy it that bit better.

I hope this is of use and I hope you have a good trip Marc :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Giancarlo said:
What do you do now? i'm in the same position with my new sleeping bag, does take up the whole main compartment....

Its only a problem in the winter when I'm using both inner and outer bags, However I have found that the trick is not to try and use a stuff sack, but to simply wrestle the thing into whatever space there is at the top of the pack. The sabre is strong enough and has sufficient straps to cope with this abuse.

(if I'm traveling in a very wet country I use B&Q rubble bags to keep the bag and everything else dry.)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Hellvellyn is a superb walk - one of the best in the country, IMHO, but the route up Striding Edge might be a bit intimidating if very windy as it is a bit exposed. I'd avoid it if snow and ice are possible.

There are other hazards - I got engaged while wild camping at Red Tarn below Hellvellyn. My girlfriend was very impressed by the champagne, but less impressed when she realised I'd hidden it in HER rucsac.

Well, must have weighed at least a kilo....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE