Sabre 45 & packing advice???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
thermarests make very good inflatable splints as well, wrap the thermarest around arm/leg fasten in place with strap from bergen and inflate...... but be careful not to cut off circulation :shock:

there are also some really good new dry bags on the market but i'll put that in a new thread :-D

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
The buckle inside does just hold the frame in place. You adjust the frame to fit your back by removing it and bending it to fit. It takes quite a lot of force to set it in place.
Remove it slowly though otherwise you get an electric shock :shock:

The straps on top of the shoulder straps do just pull the top of the pack closer to your back, making the load more stable. On larger packs similar straps are found on the hip belt too, to do the same at the bottom of the pack.

Carry your axe as you would an ice axe in the loops provided.

Try not to end up with kit strapped to the outside of your pack, if you are having to do this then you need a bigger pack.

I have a karrimor sabre 60-100 that I use in winter, when carrying thermarest, bivi bag and warm clothing. And in the warmer months use the Sabre 45 and replace thermarest and bivi bag with a Thai hammock, and the winter clothing with more appropriate warm weather gear.

I used to own a Rocket Pack, but the the sabre 45 is a much tougher better made pack, and is considerably more comfortable, especially with heavier loads and over long distances.
The rocket pack takes the weight on the shoulders pulling you backwards and quickly tiring the shoulders. Whereas the sabre 45 supports the load on the hips (the bodys natural centre of gravity) making it far more comfortable.

Hope that is of some help

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Stuarts idea with the thermarest is a good one however if your going light a foam mat weighs less and if you cut it down to 3/4 length it will work just as well and take up less room.

If you want to keep the back insert inplace I find the best way to shape it is to fill the sack with pillows or a sleeping bag - strap it on tight and then lay on the bed with it on (lay on your back) and fixing your back adjust the straps until comfy.

The shoulder adjusters are actually there to allow you to pull the pack closer to your centre of gravity or away from it when climbing or tabbing up hills - the idea being stability, safety and less shoulder strain.

Will had a good point about strapping gear on the rear - baring your roll mat, axe and poncho most of your gear should be inside.

Of course you can make yourself look like a real expert by strapping a set of mess tins to the back - works well in bear country too! :lol:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
How many miles before the clinking of someone else's gear would drive you insane???? :-D For me it's about a mile! :twisted:

Gary said:
Before someone jumps on my case - the bit about mess tins was a joke! :roll:

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
mess tins :rolmao: saw a young officer in trianing once with a sainsburys carrier bag swinging off his bergen cos he "didnt have enough room" to fit his kit in ,they let him carry on for a whle before pointing out its not the done thing

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE