Russian Camp stove (Copy of Optimus)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
Let me start by saying I wanted an Optimus 8R stove since I was a kid. A few years ago I found they have copies made in Russia. I had some overtime due to me so early Merry Christmas to me.

It works good but it did take a while to get 2 cups to boil I think I need to work on getting the settings just so and I might need to adjust the unit.

[video=youtube_share;jXcOEv79GG8]http://youtu.be/jXcOEv79GG8[/video]

I'll review it in another video after a year or so of use.

These with run off gas so I will likely store in my truck just incase.

dragon32

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2014
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Hi Bill,
I got my genuine 8R from a carboot sale. The vendor didn't know what it was so he sold it to me for 3gbp. I knew wat it was as soon as I saw the Optimus name on it as I already had a Primus 210 that my father gave me. Mines not working at the moment as it nees a new wick. Your copy looks identical to mine and seems to work realy well.

Enjoy,
Don

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
'Stovies' (collectors) often call these the 'R8'

They work well although not parts compatible with the Optimus 8. Good stoves and I've had one since @2005

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have the Optimus 8R, i baught it new in the seventies, a great stove, nowdays I use a pop can stove for lightness.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Something to try in colder weather is to use a bigger pot so that it a) makes better use of the flame instead of wasting heat escaping up the side of the stove, and b) reflects more heat down onto the burner to help keep it hot enough to vapourise the fuel efficiently. Note, however that using too big a pot in warm weather could lead to overheating of the stove!!

Also using a windshield around the stove to prevent draughts robbing the heat will help.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...Mines not working at the moment as it nees a new wick. ...

These stoves will run without a wick but I can't vouch for their safety used that way.

I only did that with mine while testing during a complete stripdown and refurbishment.

Without a wick they will not be able to use all the fuel in the tank.

As for performance, nine minutes for two cups isn't great but with a better shaped pot with a lid and a windshield (I use a bit of foil that I fold up into the case) that time could probably be cut by at least 30%.

I use alcohol for pre-heating, the flame is much cleaner so causes fewer jet-blocking problems but it generally needs more than will fit in the little priming cup to get the stove hot on a cold day. I usually sprinkle a bit on the tank too. :yikes:

When shutting the stove down it's best to turn the flame low and then blow it out before closing the valve completely. That way less soot will form in the jet.

Does this Russian copy have a built-in jet-cleaning needle?

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I use alcohol for pre-heating, the flame is much cleaner so causes fewer jet-blocking problems but it generally needs more than will fit in the little priming cup to get the stove hot on a cold day. I usually sprinkle a bit on the tank too. :yikes:

To help things along you can get an aftermarket pump and replacement tank cap (I think it's called a 'midi pump') That allows you to pressurise the tank to get the fuel flowing, rather than waiting for the heat to build up and cause pressure in the tank by vaporisation :)

Does this Russian copy have a built-in jet-cleaning needle?
I'm guessing it does - that's what causes the flame to go out when you turn the valve fully open (in case the OP didn't know about the cleaning needle ;) )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE