Roundwood timber framing mortise and tenon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That was interesting, Kris.
When I was young, I was taught to build post and rail fences with tenon joints - each rail passed through the post and was squared off with an asymmetric scarf so it overlapped with the adjacent rail. Made for a very strong fence.
This was with round posts and rails, the holes in the posts drilled with a chainsaw and the rails squared with an adze.

The odd thing is, I remember it being quite easy to get the alignment right, by eye! All we did was to lie the rails on the ground and work by eye. Did hundreds of them. Maybe it was because taking off a bit too much wasn't an issue.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Good vid.
But please, please be a little bit careful when you handle a chainsaw... the first time you use it in the videao, if there was a nail or bullet inbedded in the timber, you would not have a face left.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The title said "Round Wood . . . . . so I was expecting scribed log home construction as is popular here.
From home builders to $20,000,000 sheds put up by Pioneer Log Homes, all over the world.
I find them really gloomy unless you break the bank with the lighting and windows.
Pioneer has wood carvers to dress up the ends of signature logs, here and there around your home.

The clean-faced logs are another style altogether. Not as popular and machine-made here.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
In the mountains between Czech Rep. and Poland they have a traditional cottage called Roubenka. Seen how they do the ends. Measure, cut against the grain, then split.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Exactly, Janne. There are many different styles for log home construction. Pick the one you like. 1-room sheds don't count.

Just like Pacific Northwest native Indian art and carvings. There are 4 different styles, the design elements give them away.
In less than 30 minutes, I can teach you enough to pick them apart. Any mix is a fake. Others, such as myself, show the influence
by using design elements that no native has in their cultural spectrum.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Good vid.
But please, please be a little bit careful when you handle a chainsaw... the first time you use it in the videao, if there was a nail or bullet inbedded in the timber, you would not have a face left.
Argh, yes, should have forearm up to intersect that brake kickback plate.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I have treated several faces that a chainsaw kissed. Lived and worked in an area with a lot of forestry.

There is a reason they equip the helmets with a mesh face plate.
Sorry to be a PITA, but if we post "tutoring" vids online they should show safe practices.

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com
if you just want to talk about chainsaw safety then i wont bother contributing anymore. i have been using chainsaws for years, i have cut down hundreds of trees, built a house doing all joints with a chainsaw. worked as a groundsman for an arborist and cut thousands of logs up. not a single injury.... i would understand if i had made a chainsaw safety video but its not, its about the joinery. next time i just wont bother posting my projects. to many experts around here.....

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com
I have treated several faces that a chainsaw kissed. Lived and worked in an area with a lot of forestry.

There is a reason they equip the helmets with a mesh face plate.
Sorry to be a PITA, but if we post "tutoring" vids online they should show safe practices.

you think a bit of mesh will stop a chainsaw? sounds like you have no idea what your talking about, the mesh is to stop chips of wood going in your eyes. they use mesh because it does not steam up.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Do not get upset. Your skills are superb, but remember, people like to copy from what they have seen on the net.
We have a responsibility what we post online, no?

My assistants husband lost half of his left hand. Only his thumb left. It was that or his face. Experienced? Yes, about 40 years in NZ. Forestry, then treesurgery and hedges.

The patients I reconstructed the jaws and faces on in Sweden? Yes, forestry workers since teens. Professionals. Most kick backs were caused by nails and a few by bullets. In most cases the chain was being braked, but still horrific damage.

It can stop the chainsaw by the same principle as the gloves and overalls filled with the weird fibers I believe.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
But anyway, I think you have a rare skill. I had help restoring a timber framed building years ago. Was not easy to find a craftsman that could do it.

It looks very easy to do what your show in your vids, but it is not.

Do you treat the timber somehow to stop the rot?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE