roe antler craft ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
i have built up quite a collection of roe antler and i don't know what to do with it.
i used some of the bigger bits for knife handles but i have quite a few small bits.
some of the points have been made into necklaces.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
george.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
If you fancy stretching yourself what about a set of replacement buttons for an outdoors coat? Start with a Swani as you only need 5. 7 if you want two cuff opening options.

K

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
cheers guys i hadn't thought of toggles. i have a lumberjack shirt/jacket that i use in the bush and antler toggles would look really nice!

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I've used them to make coat hooks. Screwed through from the rear of a piece of wood and epoxied for extra holding power.
I normally use pieces of oak, as that's what I have a surplus of. I've done them in singles and multiples. I normally cut the antler above the coronet at an angle so as to get them more 'point up' on the board. Drill through the wood where the placement is required and then I drill the antler out a wee bit smaller than the screw size.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Why don't you make some keyrings or a set of ranger beads....like these
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF0694_zps944e940b.jpg
    DSCF0694_zps944e940b.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF0605.jpg
    DSCF0605.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 70
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi KnifeMan
I was just looking at making a paracord needle and remembered your post,
Fids, Swedish Fids and Awl's for rope or leather work, Roe maybe a bit small for a netting needle, nothing very exciting or decorative but still all useful tools.
Maybe a bit to primitive for what you want to do but I also just had a quick look at Neolithic antler tools and seen a nice socket for small axe or adze and some stunning harpoon points.
I don't know if you are in to archery but antler knocks for bows and arrows look look the biz, and perhaps an arrow straightener tool.
Happy Trails Bro.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE