Roast Deer!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Having taken a fresh roadkill deer home in the back of my van, I decided to cook some of it up for sunday lunch. My daughter and grandchildren were here for the day and I had the kids trying to guess what was in the oven. They could smell it and tried and tried without success.

I decided to give them a clue. I said, "It is what your Nana sometimes calls me".

They thought about it for a while and when my daughter came in from the garden and asked them if they had figured out what I was cooking yet, my grandson replied, "Yes Mum, we're having roast arsehole"!

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
BorderReiver said:
Nice one :D

I used to tell my kids that we were having Bambi and chips.
More for me :p

I'm vegetarian as are our sons, my husband isn't. Fortunately it's amicable...just don't mix up the pots, utensils or washing up. :eek: My family's meat comments (a "Dead pig bun", is what the boys call a bacon roll, roast chicken is a "Burnt hen", steak is a "slice of a cow's a***") occasionally caused consternation when eating out. Children sometimes have a way with words that can be disconcertingly accurate. :rolleyes:
Not suggesting anything here you understand Eric! :D ;)

Cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven said:
Having taken a fresh roadkill deer home in the back of my van, I decided to cook some of it up for sunday lunch. My daughter and grandchildren were here for the day and I had the kids trying to guess what was in the oven. They could smell it and tried and tried without success.

I decided to give them a clue. I said, "It is what your Nana sometimes calls me".

They thought about it for a while and when my daughter came in from the garden and asked them if they had figured out what I was cooking yet, my grandson replied, "Yes Mum, we're having roast arsehole"!

Eric
ROFL!!! :D

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Toddy said:
I'm vegetarian as are our sons, my husband isn't. Fortunately it's amicable...just don't mix up the pots, utensils or washing up. :eek: My family's meat comments (a "Dead pig bun", is what the boys call a bacon roll, roast chicken is a "Burnt hen", steak is a "slice of a cow's a***") occasionally caused consternation when eating out. Children sometimes have a way with words that can be disconcertingly accurate. :rolleyes:
Not suggesting anything here you understand Eric! :D ;)

Cheers,
Toddy

I always make a point of explaining to my children (boy of 4.1/2 and girl of 2.1/2; never forget the halves!) where their food comes from.

They know we eat dead animals.

If, later, they decide they don't like the idea of that, then they'll be free to choose.

For now, they seem to accept that it's normal (maybe becaus it's what they see Mom and Dad doing) that this is perfectly normal behaviour.

sometime soon, I'll introduce the to the idea of killing the animal we're going to eat. I believe that this is good for them, so they understand that we, as people, are part of the same system that allow cats or owls to eat mice, otters to eat fish, and so on, while people are demonised.

In the famile, we also make oa point of involving out children in preparing all the food, where this is practical. My girl was helping me to chop chicory, onions and apples last week, and as soon as she has enough strength and dexterity, she'll be helping with harder things like parsnips, carrots and turnips.

Cutting vegetables if good practice for very small kids. The knife can be blunt, since most of the time, what you're really doing is simply driving in a wedge. You can give you kid a blunt table knife, and it'll work well enough.

My son is getting to point where I can trust him with a properly sharpened knife. Soon, he'll be able to have a go at seriously har work, like carving spoons. ;)

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE