RM type first attempt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Well after making a couple of knife handles for pre made blades I decided to have a go at making a knife from scratch!

Starting with flat ground 3mm 01 carbon steel stock and a scrap of teak substitute wood (Name unknown),

I managed to produce this, not perfect as you can see, but I thought I would share non the less

However I intend to put this knife to task and see how it performs!

Sheath to follow ;)

As always comment welcome

000_0286.jpg

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Heat treated it in a converted BBQ (with a hoover converted to blow) as the bellows, left it to heat in the charcole until it lost its magnetic atraction (800C ish)

Then quenched in oil, and tempered in the kitchen oven for 45mins at about 250 -300 C

And left to cool to room temperature,

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Looks pretty good to me.
Not a critisism,but if you make another I would extend the wood onto the finger guard as even a little guard like that has sharp edges,by extending the handle forward by about 5mm you could blend the steel with the wood which may make it more comfortable to use.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Excellent looking knife,
Does the temper seem to have done the job? Just asking as every expert I/ve asked has said do 01 for about 30 min at 200C twice and let it cool naturally to room temp between.
Cheers
David

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
dtalbot said:
Excellent looking knife,
Does the temper seem to have done the job? Just asking as every expert I/ve asked has said do 01 for about 30 min at 200C twice and let it cool naturally to room temp between.
Cheers
David

The temper seems fine!

I have used the knife only for light chopping and carving as yet. (into some seasond hadwoods though) and the blade has held a good edge!

I am unsure how to test hardness etc after the blade has been finnished, but no complaints on it as yet!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE