River Tyne "Voyaguers"!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well alright, not exactly correct:p
However, this was our first outing in our own boat; "Das Boot". We had intended to go back to Derwentwater but decided that, for our first trip, it might be better to go a bit more local.
So we did a recce on Friday then did our trip on Saturday, traveling just 18 miles or so, to the Tyne Green riverside park at Hexham.
I had arranged with a workmate to keep me and the youngster company as well as sort us out with some free tuition;)
Frank turned up with what looked like an over large fabric conditioner bottle! I was however, very impressed with both it's speed and the way it was handled.
P5100021copyresized4.jpg

We were introduced to shallow moving water and Frank, rather wisely, asked us to wear a helmet each, just in case we rolled out in the shallows and cracked our bonces.
We looked a bit of a pair of turnips but later on, could see the sense in it.
P5100008copyresized5.jpg

The paddle up river from Tyne Green was brilliant, the breeze was warm and the river very gentle.
P5100006copyresized3.jpg

we passed through a narrow channel and were quite surprised at the gentle pace of the river, till Frank explained that while it was narrow, it was also quite deep, so allowing the river to pass more or less undisturbed.
Then we carried on up towards the remains of the old railway bridge, not reaching it due to the shallows, where we learned a little about "ferry gliding" or cutting across the current with minimum effort.
I spotted quite a few Horse's Hoof fungi, growing in out of reach( from dry land) places but didn't even think about gathering any. It's not really that common around here so I let them be.
We had our lunch on a sand bank.
It was a glorious day, even the breeze on the river was warm, the water, however was as shocking as ever!
P5100001copyresized1.jpg

After that we went back for more "Ferry Gliding" this time backwards, as well as forwards:1244:
The heat was surprising to be honest and the helmets were regularly removed, filled with river and plonked straight back on the bonce for a refreshing rinse! mind you, we only did this in the deep, slow bits.:cool:
Then after what seemed like an hour but was actually nearer three we began to head back down to Tyne Green, I gave my home made paddle a try and was pleasantly surprised at how it performed. It is too short and a bit small in the blade but I'll definitely be making some more as users in future.
We met up with a group of six open canoes coming upstream. Two of these boats were being poled! the first time I have seen anything like this except on a gondola or a punt,it was a sight to behold to be honest and we paused to meet and greet each other. We dawdled a while, as one chap put a sea kayak through it's paces and the Canoe paddlers/polers practiced getting back into their boats after a dunking.
We were invited to join the fun but declined the kind offer on this occasion:Thinkingo
One of the canoeist's, who at least looked like he might be into bushcraft, had his spaniel in the boat with him and the dog obviously knew the drill, as he scrambled up into the bow and sat on the airbag while his master splashed his way, very neatly, back into the boat.:cool:

And so back to the start, boat out, back on the car and home.

A fantastic day for our first trip out in our own boat.

Cheers
R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE