River Arun, how navigable?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
Has anyone done a trip on the Arun?

I know its tidal up to Pulborough but how much further is it navigable for? I use a sevylor colorado so depth of water and the odd portage is no issue, just hate it when the river is so overgrown you cant get through and end up with a long drag.

Im basically looking for the furthest access point up river to start and do a slow trip, day and a night, to the coast.

Thanks

Green Weasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
West Sussex
The upper tidal stretch of the Arun is a favourite of mine . I went just above the tidal limit a couple of weeks ago in my skin on frame canoe . The official tidal limit is around the Pallingham Lock and Quay area.This is about twenty miles from the sea. Above this point and for the last section up to it the reeds and overhanging branches will be joining you in the canoe !.
I pushed up as far as I dare with regard to the canvas skin of my craft and managed a little way above the metal footbridge .A couple of lads in a hard-shell did'nt go much further and if they had they would have run against a little weir . Any more than a couple of considerate canoeists on this stretch is definatly a crowd as passing places are at a premium .
In the days when the river was a commercial concern the Arun Navigation Company maintained the river from Houghton Bridge to Pallingham but was not allowed to charge tolls on this section as it was tidal and therefore open to free usage by Royal Charter. Above Pallingham navigation was by payment of tolls on the man-made Arun Navigation which ran roughly parrallel with the river rather than the river itself which has always been famous for its erratic course and flow .
If you are after a couple of days or more on the river you could do worse than starting from the public slipway at Swan bridge Pulborough or from the White Hart at Stopham Bridge (Very canoe friendly-only fair to buy a pint and basket of chips ! ). I'd run up on the last couple of hours of the rising tide to Pallingham and come back down on the ebb. From there its up to you how far down you want to go . As you go downstream the importance of reckoning the tidal pattern becomes more important if you are after a relaxed paddle and to be honest the Arundel to Littlehampton stretch can be a bit bleak if the weather is'nt playing ball . You get lovely view of Ford prison though .
I'm probably going to be bobbing about on the Arun over the next Bank holiday .
IMGP8704.jpg
IMGP8702.jpg
IMGP8648.jpg

Top picture - Still room for passing.
Middle picture - Canvas canoe ,spikey branches -I didnt risk the gap. I was well above the limit anyway so changed ends and came down with the flow .
Bottom picture - A short paddle above Stopham Bridge .
Quite a variation in character over a relatively short distance . When the tide turns and flows -out things become really interesting !.

Last edited:

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
Brilliant information, thank you. I live in Littlehampton and have permission access all along the east bank opposite the prison so i'd probably start from Pulborough and end there. My sevylor is a pig in opposing tides so i'd be looking to moor up and wait til the waters running in my favour on the faster section. Im a great believer in going with the flow LOL. Im in no rush and if i could arrange it to do 10 miles a day with a covert stop over on route and a night at my finishing point that would be ideal.

Thats a lovely dog you have, this trip with be my newest pups maiden canoe voyage - fingers crossed!

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Great thread, as it is nice to know that there are some local canoeing bushcrafters. It is something I plan to get into soon, so will be joining a local club in the next few weeks to get some lessons before I buy a canoe myself. I used to live at Pulborough but am now lower down near Littlehampton, so know the river a bit. I am not sure I woukd want to be in a canoe at full tide as it is pretty fast from Arundel down, at least for a while. Once I get a canoe it would be good to go for a paddle togeather & I would like to do some canoe camping in the upper section later in the summer.

I thought I would mention that we have now a small BCUK meet happening once a month in Sussex, which we have done a couple of times and are having another one in the middle of May, if you feel like meeting some local members. We have come to an arrangement with a site North of Lewis called Forgewood, which has some lovely woods & we will have use of a seperate area of the woods from the next meet onwards. Link is here if you are up for some camping:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72337

Dave

Last edited:

Green Weasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
West Sussex
I've always worked on the rough guide that high water at Pulborough is about four hours after Littlehampton if that helps .
You mentioning that your canoe is hard work in a tide reminds me of the evening I went for a wander alongside a stretch I'd not paddled before . Two hefty lads in an inflatable were heading downstream . Unfortunatly their vehicle was several parked miles upstream and it was getting dark . They were deciding whether to come ashore and walk back for the car or spend an unplanned night under the stars.
My dog is pretty calm about most things but I'm always a bit worried about him putting his claws through the canvas -hence the mat. The only dodgy moments have been when he once decided to shift his weight while I was running under a narrow bridge arch and when a passing canoist stopped for a chat and went to steady himself by holding the gunnel of my boat . He withdrew his hand just in time !.
Look out for a guy (Gary I think) who runs up and down the Arun in a really neat green stitch and glue Canadian with his Jack Russell . Everyone is so friendly on the river and you'll probably run into a few characters .These range from the gentleman who built a willow and tarpaulin "curragh" type of thing and the lads who drift up and down fishing from the wrecked hull of an old cabin cruiser that has had all its superstructure stripped(burned -out actually) out and replaced with a plastic picnic table and chairs .
Good luck with your trip .

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
Thanks, Im really looking forward to it. I'll take some pics and do a nice write up when i do it.

The inflatables are just no good against current, hence the need for a prolonged trip. Its not a problem though, a lazy few days on the river sounds good - more enjoyable than a unwinnable battle against time and tide anyway. I might do some of the trip at night if thats how the tides pan out, that could be interesting as i've never tried it before.

You cant beat dogs as companions for things like this, i have four. The three oldest can all be trusted in the canoe but only one of them actually enjoys it. Im hoping the puppy will take to it and enjoy it too.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Hi Tyla,

How are you getting on with this? Been out yet?

Green Weasel has given you as much info as you need to really. It's a lovely river above Arundel getting better still above Pulborough. The river below Arundel has dull concrete lined banks and feels very much like paddling a drainage ditch, still, it's nice to have done it.

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Oh yeah! I'm sure your inflatable can't be as hard as rowing this:

bathtub-race.jpg

Have fun!

Al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE