right to roam

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SAS_MAN

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2008
highlands
I live in scotland and was wondering if anyone knows if i am allowed to light fires on someone elses land. I would controlthe fire and keep it just big enought to cook on. I would only use dead wood is this allowed under the right to roam act.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Well I'm sure there is plenty of situations you need to have a fire. But yeh, I agree, I do fires on beaches and it is great.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a touch harsh of an interpretation, most of us don't carry stoves if we can avoid the extra weight.

The Code actually says

"Lighting fires
Wherever possible, use a stove rather than light an open fire. If you do wish to light an open fire, keep it small, under control and supervised – fires that get out of control can cause major damage, for which you might be liable. Never light an open fire during prolonged dry periods or in areas such as forests, woods, farmland, or on peaty ground or near to buildings or in cultural heritage sites where damage can be easily caused. Heed all advice at times of high risk. Remove all traces of an open fire before you leave."

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/default.asp?nPageID=261&nSubContentID=0

cheers,
Toddy

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
That's a touch harsh of an interpretation, most of us don't carry stoves if we can avoid the extra weight.

The Code actually says

"Lighting fires
Wherever possible, use a stove rather than light an open fire. If you do wish to light an open fire, keep it small, under control and supervised – fires that get out of control can cause major damage, for which you might be liable. Never light an open fire during prolonged dry periods or in areas such as forests, woods, farmland, or on peaty ground or near to buildings or in cultural heritage sites where damage can be easily caused. Heed all advice at times of high risk. Remove all traces of an open fire before you leave."

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/default.asp?nPageID=261&nSubContentID=0

cheers,
Toddy

Never light an open fire during prolonged dry periods or in areas such as forests, woods, farmland, or on peaty ground or near to buildings or in cultural heritage sites where damage can be easily caused

Outside of winter apart from beaches where can we confirm to the statement above ?

Nick

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Open glades, pathways, verges, stoney ground......Scotland is a big place and it's usually wet... the intent is care, responsible use, not don't ever light a fire.

cheers,
Toddy

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Open glades, pathways, verges, stoney ground......Scotland is a big place and it's usually wet... the intent is care, responsible use, not don't ever light a fire.

cheers,
Toddy

I think lighting a fire on a pathway is asking for trouble from the farmer/ghillies and is probably breaching the code.

Stoney ground, yeah river beds in summer will be exposed at the banks so are good fire spots.

Most of Provence in france bans fires and camping wild for fire risks. And a lot of campsites are banning BBQ cooking as well.

Nick

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nick, what do you want? Responsible use, light a fire where you chose having chosen well, disperse when finished or just don't do it?

No, I do light fires, I do take care, I do use the right to do so with good judgement, I'm not going to accept that I cannot do so. I rarely wander near beaches, so ought that to mean I cannot light a fire? No.

Toddy

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
This is quite an interesting debate
I heard an interview with someone from the Forestry Commission in Scotland where he described rotating camping friendly areas to allow popular places to "recover".He had a great attitude and didnt want to dissuade anyone from camping in fact I think he stated he was tasked with enabling public access

I agree with Toddy in reality there are many clearings and glades where fires can be safely lit
Indeed there are in my experience many established//existing fire pits
As a Scot living in England I would far prefer this arrangement to that which exists in England at present where people may be forced to camp illegally in more secretive locations where fire lighting may be more risky.
I suppose the size of the fire is relevant as well;personally I prefer a very small controlled unobtrusive fire but I know some people get a bit carried away in which case its about education
Interested to see what other perspectives folk in this community have though as I think this is a topic I need to consider more fully in future

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I always try to keep my fires enclosed in a fire-bowl/box/stove raised off the ground with a few rocks where I can and where there is no existing fire scar, though I do light on beaches too.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
There is further info on this on the ukriverguidebook site for wild camping and canoeing and on the MCofS site.

Even with my Kelly kettle I tried to be discrete in the woods. I love it though. I like the renewable aspect, using leaf mould, driftwood, twigs and pinecones that would just otherwise rot away. Hmm might go out to the garden and use it now.

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE