Ridgeline Monsoon smock and Roar trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

Thinking of getting these, but reports of sizing seem a bit conflicting. I'm a 41" (104cm) chest and 38" (97cm) waist (but with a tum-tum above that's a bit bigger (44", 112cm at its most protuberant point). Would a large smock and XL trousers be about right? There's a fair chance that the trousers would be pulled on over normal trousers, so I'm guessing that XL will be okay, but will probably need a belt (while L will likely be too tight). Not so sure about the L smock - okay over thermal base layer and cotton shirt? Still okay with a fleece or similar in addition? Or is my belly going to get in the way?

What's the deal with the strap things at the bottoms of the trousers? Can they be bloused around the tops of combat boots? Are they just press studs, or is the black strap velcro?

For usage, I'm thinking the trousers would be good for general bushy stuff in damp conditions (ie, dry knees and bum when messing about camp), and probably only use the smock for when there's a downpour or cold wind, although it strikes me as good for mooching/crawling about watching wildlife. Not likely to be indulging in heavy exertion, so the reports of less than wonderful breathability don't bother me much.

I gather that the outer finish makes the kit very quiet, but what's the handle of the fabric like? Is it still a bit stiff like a hardshell, or more soft and pliable like a softshell? Does it soften up and de-crease with use?

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I find the smock needs a size up from the jacket. I have XL Roar rousers and XL Roar jacket but found the XXL Monsoon smock a better fit for pulling on.

It's quite heavy as a fabric but also flexible and quiet. It's also not very breathable, but most folks don't seem to mind. I don't wear mine now as I have managed to get hold of the Swazi versions at a reasonable price, and prefer them

Last edited:
N

Nomad

Hmmm, I'm starting to think that XL for both will fit me better. What size chest/belly are you?

N

Nomad

Went with XL trousers and L smock in the end, on the advice of Paul at Scott Country. I'm a little surprised at the fit of the trousers - not as loose as I expected for the XL size and needed more stretch of the elasticated waist than envisaged. To answer my own question about the bottoms of the trousers, the black strip is velcro, but they don't really blouse around the tops of combat boots - the fabric is too stiff for this (especially with the ankle abrasion patches), but the bottoms do pull in nicely around the ankles when the press stud is set to the smallest size/opening. Getting the trousers on/off over the combat boots also worked fine. Leg length is also good with the trousers pulled in around the boots - no big baggy bits or collections of wrinkles, and enough room to raise a knee without the trouser leg pulling or wanting to stretch.

The smock fits just about right - gets snug around the belly with a fleece lined anorak underneath (thermals and heavy cotton shirt under that), and is fine with just the thermals and shirt. The hood stiffener thingy seemed to have acquired a permanent bend that wouldn't straighten, but Paul was happy to swap it out for another (which also has a slight bend, but sits much better when worn). Arm length is good (just right for me) and the arms can be raised above the head without anything riding up. The length of the smock is also good - a very slight drag on the upper thighs when I raise a knee, but no restriction of movement.

I have to say, the service from Paul and Scott Country was excellent - very responsive throughout and we posted hoods at the same time rather than me waiting for the return to get back before the replacement was shipped. I'm planning to go out for a bimble at the weekend to see how it all works, so was keen to get the hood back today.

One other thing I'll comment on (for other readers) is the colour. Many of the photos one sees of the teak jacket and trousers look like some sort of tan or coyote brown. The colour is nothing like this - it's more like a browny green, or a greeny brown, or a slightly lightish, muted olive. It's much better than I expected, and I'm really pleased with it. If anything, Scott Country's own photos of the Monsoon are a very good representation. There is also a review somewhere on BCUK (by Nonsuch?) that has a couple of photos that are a wee bit dark, but also give a good representation of the colour.

Last edited by a moderator:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I'm interested in hearing how breathable you find it with all that gear on !. The smocks do run a bit warm, some find this a problem, but i don't. I've been wearing my smock all winter, with at most only a jumper underneath, & think its the best bit of outdoor kit i've purchased for a long time. I'm also interested in how you find the trousers, as i would'nt mind a pair.

Rob

N

Nomad

I'm not planning on running around in it while wearing the fleecy windproof anorak - I had just wanted to see how the fit was with the likely maximum on underneath, but that max, if worn, would be for standing around. If anything, I find the fleecy anorak a bit bulky and will probably replace it.

N

Nomad

Just back from a 4km bimble in the local country park, which is nearly all coniferous forest. Temperature was 1.5 - 2°, started off light rain trying to be snow and then stopped after 20 minutes or so, and came back on a bit for the last 15 minutes. Temperature had risen to 2.5° at the end (Lidl temperature thingy in Land Rover).

I was wearing...

Cotton scants.
Helikon Level 2 thermals (top and bottoms).
Bridgedale 4-season socks inside Altberg combat boots.
5.11 Tactical shirt.
Ridgeline trousers and Monsoon jacket.
Fleece hat.
Webtex Cadet 33L rucksack weighing 6kg.

Set off at a reasonable pace with the zip/flap done up and the waist cinched, but didn't tighten the cuffs on the sleeves. Trouser bottoms were wrapped in around the boot legs. Soon (0.5km) felt the need to vent so uncinched the waist and adjusted the zip as needed. In general, my torso felt a bit cool, as if there was some perspiration and I was getting a light breeze on it. Temperature of legs felt neutral throughout. I took gloves but didn't wear them - the handwarmer pockets were pretty good. Most of the walk was an easyish pace with some stopping mid-way through to mooch around in the woods, and try out my old cheapo binocs to see if they are bad enough to give me an excuse to buy better ones. Never felt too warm, and adjusting the chest zip seemed to be all that was needed to keep the slight chill on the torso under control.

When I got back to the Land Rover, I took the smock off and had a feel around the inside. There was slight moisture at the armpits, and some at the upper back. No droplets or running water were visible, but the dampness could be felt on the fingers after touching. The rest felt dry. Armpits on the shirt were dry. When I got home, I took the kit off and had a closer look - on the shirt, the top of the back, and the small of the back (inside the trousers) were damp, and the rest was fine. The thermals felt dry all over, as did the inside of the trousers.

I should mention that I'm pretty unfit, and it's likely that I would perspire more than normal given the ambient conditions and amount of effort I was expending. As I get fitter, I would expect to perspire less. (I didn't perspire much - just noticed it a bit at the start.)

Overall, so far, I think the kit matches my expectations regarding breathability - it's not that great. (This is from someone who very rarely wears anything that's at all waterproof.) Considering it was cold, moderate exertion for an hour or so, and the fact that there was still some condensation inside, leaves me feeling that the Ridgeline stuff is indeed suited to bimbles and general messing about camp rather than serious walking. I can't imagine wearing this stuff in summer. Remains to be seen how it is in spring and autumn. On the other hand, for sitting about in the evening, general mooching in the woods, and skulking about spotting wildlife, I think it could be pretty good.

Further comments/observations...

The fabric is indeed very quiet. I would say it's on a par with various army jackets that I've worn over the years. In other words, there's a slight swish, but it's very subdued. The fuzzy outer tends to absorb water when a big drop lands on it - I had dark spots in various places. In a heavy downpour, I dare say it could get rather wet on the outside, and become heavier. I don't know what the outer layer is made from, but I assume it dries pretty quickly.

The trouser pockets are quite deep, and stuff in them tends to rest on the fronts of the upper thighs. My big SAK bounced a bit, but I stopped noticing this after a while, and there was no annoyance or anything like that. I'm still surprised at the fit of the trousers. Aside from the waist feeling much smaller than I expected from the size guide, I also found that they were a close fit at the crotch - getting close to marginal for comfort. They are marked XL, but I honestly find it hard to believe that that's what they are.

The handwarmer pockets on the smock are bigger than I expected with just my hands in them - was able to stuff my fleece hat right inside one and had no concern about it falling out if the zip wasn't done up. The insides of the pockets have some friction and the hat fabric had a good level of grip with this - felt like it was in and was going to stay in.

The chest pockets were better than expected. Contrary to my thoughts in another thread (about the Swazi garment of similar style), I liked the non-symmetrical layout. I had map (park leaflet in poly bag), 2oz baccy pouch, lighter, choccy bar, keys, in the zip pocket on the right, and compass and binocs and empty binoc pouch in the patch pocket on the left. The patch pocket isn't zipped - just a couple of poppers - and was great for the binocs (lanyard around the neck, binocs in the pocket when not using them to keep the rain off the oculars). Generally, just doing the outer (leftmost) popper was enough to keep the flap over the binocs to protect them from the rain. The zipped pocket felt very secure - no concerns about losing stuff.

All of the pocket zips are waterproof (or waterproof style - not enough wet to test that), and all of them ran very smoothly. Chest zip and flap also worked very well.

At one point, I put the hood up when I was in a more exposed area and there was a bit of a breeze. I would say it seemed a little noisy around the ears, but no more than was expected. I find that my head tends to turn inside the hood rather than the hood turning with it.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have been using mine all winter, but today, as the wind had dropped, i went out in my wax drovers coat, & my akubra hat, which is the combination i always wore before getting the monsoon. I can safely say i prefer the monsoon !, the waxxy can go back in the garage, i'll stick with the monsoon.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE