Reviving an old leather belt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was thinking of recycling an old leather belt that I made years ago from 3mm veg tan - but then got creative!
The belt was one of my first leather-crafting projects and has a certain amount of sentimental value - but it had gone a bit soft and stretched around the point that it flexes most and gets the most strain ... where the buckle fastens around my expanding gut!
I was thinking of cutting off the buckle, binning the leather and re-making the belt ... but that meant lots of work and loss of the original work/memories etc.
Then I thought - can I re-stiffen the leather?
Soooo - long story short - I rubbed an old candle stub over the back of the belt and melted the (scented) wax into the leather with a hot air gun. I repeated this several times, working on the face of the belt as well and Lo and Behold! a newly stiffened belt!
No great amount of investment (the candle was due for remaking as a fire lighter), loss of leather, loss of memories, investment of time etc etc, just a newly tidy belt :)
No point in photos of the belt - it is just a belt - but I hope this post is of use to others as a way of avoiding having to bin any leather :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE