Reviving an old backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 4, 2016
Gotland, Sweden
Wasn't sure on where to post this so I hope it's ok here.

I picked an old Tauren backpack up years ago an a fleamarket but since it was quite old one of the staps broke quite fast and it's been sitting in the closet ever since but today I decided i was time to try and restore it a bit. Cleaned off the canvas and applied a decent amount of leather fat to all the straps, trimmings etc. as well as fixing the broken strap. Still considering to treat the fabric in some way but not sure on what to use. Greenland wax seems to be a viable option.

It's quite rewarding to take care of old things, specially when they're of good quality. The pack can't really compete with my Condor backpack when it comes to comfort, carrying capacity and versatility. It won't hold up to bad weather as well or last as long but there is something deeply satisfying in restoing something vintage and actualy use it again.

I think it's nice to leave the modern materials at home sometimes and get back to using more traditional ones. A nylon dump bag is practical but no where near as nice as a it's leather equivalent.

Do you have any old bags or other equipment etc that you use regularly?

(Wanted to share some images too but didn't find any way of doing this apart from using a url?)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
I can't say I have any old clothing that I have restored and use but I have an old Eewell axe from 1951 I restored and use a lot. It's not the same as a Gransfors but lends it's self to splitting better.

Mar 4, 2016
Gotland, Sweden
With patience, elbow grease and the right products it is well worth restoring a nice old backpack. I have an old Swedish army one with steel frame that I spent hours cleaning & feeding and it now loooks in far better shape than this one on e-bay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Sw...046874?hash=item3d1186b8da:g:ac8AAOSwUuFWvZxZ
K

Being a swede who likes the outdoors and bushcraft it would be a sham if I didn't have one myself ;)
Got it at least 15 years ago and it's still going strong! If you take the time to adjust it properly it's really comfortable to wear and takes quite a load of equipment. I even have the original shovel that goes with it but it's usually too heavy to carry around. The Tauern pack is a bit smaller so I thought I'd use it as a one/twoday pack for the occacional sleepover in the forest when a sleepingbag is not needed or out for a longer walk.

Been trying to find a picture or info on the same model Tauern I have but so far I got nought. Seems like a civilian vaersion of the WW2 Gebirgsjäger sack but the straps differ in shape and the canvas is different. Also, the military ones have a canvas trim, the edges on the lids on mine are soft leather.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE