Review - casstrom Leuku & Puukko combination

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Are you sure when you ordered your special version of the knife that they didn't just miss out the coloured section of the handle ? It looks a bit like that to me when comparing the standard photo with the one you received. In the standard pair's photo with the coloured wood insert, the big knife's handle is longer than the short knife's, but in yours it is the other way around.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Are you sure when you ordered your special version of the knife that they didn't just miss out the coloured section of the handle ? It looks a bit like that to me when comparing the standard photo with the one you received. In the standard pair's photo with the coloured wood insert, the big knife's handle is longer than the short knife's, but in yours it is the other way around.

It does kinda look asthough they've missed out the leather or wood rings between the piece of coloured wood and the curly birch.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sadly they shouldn't have - they clearly offered a "plain wood version" - indeed you cans ee the band of natural wood where the coloured wood should be

Red

Mar 19, 2009
Glasgow Scotland
I can see only one Leuku on the site now...everything else is a puukku or a filleting knife. Looks like they took your views seriously. Gives me faith, especially as I've asked for a Puukko for my birthday and referred the gifter to that site. Don't know which one I'll get but I'm looking forward to it.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Nice review - I know it's 6 years old but I found it through Google :D
Thanks for posting it, and glad the photos are still viewable :)

Didgeridoohan

Tenderfoot

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've got this set, the leuku handle is a bit strange but if I'm honest I use the leuku the least of any tool I've got, I'm not a fan of slashy blades. The puuko is great for the money and a nice little tool. Great review Red! :)

Edit: I don't actually use either much now, I'm not a fan of stick tangs to be honest so they've been sidelined, but the little puuko is actually very good at food prep.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats very disappointing to hear Cameron - six years after my initial review - and letting Casstrom know - and they are still retailing a very dodgy design that verges on the unsafe. Ahh well - there are plenty of other makers and sellers out there.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Thats very disappointing to hear Cameron - six years after my initial review - and letting Casstrom know - and they are still retailing a very dodgy design that verges on the unsafe. Ahh well - there are plenty of other makers and sellers out there.

It is and there are- I've got commissions on the way :D!

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
I have the exact same set and happened to cut my indexfinger last year quite deeply while clearing branches of a pine. The handle is too short and the grip is indeed awkard. I'm trying to thin the handle down by sanding, to get it slimmer and with a swell near my pink.

the Leuku do is a beast for harvesting shelter materials :)
p1040509.jpg

I don't use it that much, my girlfriend always claims it as soon as we depart for the woods.

Last edited:

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Out of interest, is there another comparable set you would recommend?

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Thank you British Red and thanks Will for resurrecting the thread. This set had been on my wishlist for some time. Really glad I saw your posts as I have saved my cash and my fingers! Thanks again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE