Review: Brodequin hand-made boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Well I met the lovely Gill and got my boots back today. Over the moon! they have lowered the foot box and reshaped them to my foot shape. comfortable from the word go :D I now have the perfect summer lightweight boot :D Big Big thanks to Broderquin, I would highly recommend them. Will do a few pics when i have worn them for a bit.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
nice one Bard bet theyre dead comfy. i thought about having them shaped tae measurements but thats never worked out in the past :S still mine fit very well. glad youv got a comfy practical pair like mine shall expect a full review :D

Dreadhead

i couldnt be happier they are still going strong. and with wear they have become more comfortable. i have found sno-seal works just fine waterproofing them. when these boots do eventually die i will be ordering the exact same pair i reckon

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Seems like a really good deal for the price. I suppose they'll resole them, replace parts, etc if required. Look great! I'll contact them at some point and see if they can make an upland boot for a man-duck.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I think they look great! they suit your other style too ;)

I'm no expert on shoes/feet but I was told flat soles can cause fallen arches.. will this happen if the sole is flat but flexible like yours?

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Ah soft stars are cool. I've always been looking in to making a pair of apache boots, but never really got around to attempting it. Minimalist footwear is something that really interests me too - the Feelmax Kuuva is a design I've not seen before http://www.livingbarefoot.info/2009/12/reivew-feelmax-kuuva-boot-review-winter-barefooting-series/ Pity it's for banana feet. Conventional boots make me so clumsy...I really have no idea how people cope doing some things wearing them. No good when you're creeping up on things.

Dreadhead

i can see why those may be good in winter however still too much of a modern style for my liking with tight ankles. i love these boots as they leave my ankles free and mobile aswell as having the flat sole so it rarely feels like im acually wearing boots :) i reckon for winter a pair of these would be fine but i would buy one size larger and put in a felt liner or something

besides brodequin will put a flat sole on any of their boot styles and they have a pretty good range anyway

Dreadhead

Almost one year on so I thought i would update this.

First off, since buying these boots, they are the only boots I own and I have worn them every day for over 10 months in all sorts of weather and terrain so they have had a good test.

These boots have held up really well I am very impressed, after 10 months of slogging around in them they have some very slight scuff marks and that's it! I have kept them maintained with a coat of sno-seal once every couple of months. So how do they handle different conditions?

Spring/summer: Being single layer of leather with a nice open calf on them they breathed very well all through summer and i never got sweaty feet or too hot which was a big bonus

Autumn: When the rain started falling heavily I had some problems with these boots. Unfortunatly when it's very wet the seams do seep water and eventually the soles get pretty wet inside and I end up with wet soles and toes. I had to recoat them with sno seal every week to keep the worst of it at bay. A pair of wool socks really helped keep some of the water and cold at bay!

Winter: I can honestly say these are a great winter boot (for me!). They breath nicely and with a good coat of sno-seal they do very well in the snow and have a fairly decent grip. As trudging through snow can be a chore at times the weight of these boots makes a big difference compared to heavy military styled boots.

So far they have been absolutely superb throughout spring and summer, great in hot weather. And are great in the winter; very adept at handling snow. The only downside for me is very wet conditions are too much of a match for these boots and that is the only thing that lets them down.

So far I have never worn insoles in these and in warmer conditions don't bother with socks either. Now it is winter i may cinsoder getting some felt insoles for a little extra warmth. Still very pleased! And on the plus side they now have that worn gnarly look :)

Hamish

cimg2503bs.jpg

cimg2504si.jpg

cimg2506m.jpg

cimg2523l.jpg

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Why would they cause foot problems? Do you mean because of the flat sole? As you're a soft star moc fan you'd know about the benefits of barefoot shoes.

Dreadhead

Yeah I find it hard to understand why modsern hitech walking boots have to have a rigid sole, hell, and ankle support :confused:

These boots have none of that, but i do beleive in the benefits of barefoot shoes and whatnot. Time will tell i guess

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE