Returning (or is that recurring) member

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DingusMagee

Apr 4, 2022
Darkest Aberdeenshire
Hello y'all

I was a member of this forum many moons ago, and for various reasons had let my subscription slip. Here I am again then and looking forward to joining the community once more

A brief profile then:
My name is Dingus Magee and I live in Darkest Aberdeenshire, Scotland. I have been fortunate enough to have had many jobs in the forests and mountains of Scotland, among them: forestry and fencing contractor, ecological consultant/biological surveyor, stableman/groom, work on various highland estates as a pony ghillie and most recently D of E Expedition Assessor and freelance mountain leader

For various health reasons I am unable to get onto Scotland's mountains anymore and have to seek my mountain fix in the Pyrenees and Sierra Nevada ranges in Spain, where it is much warmer. I can, however, still get out and about in the woods and forests around about where I live, and I'm looking forward to getting out there. Way back in the day, when I was first on the forum, I went to a couple of the moots and also enjoyed a couple of bush craft weekends with some local guys and learnt quite a bit from them. Then life took one of those sudden changes in direction...but here I am again. For the time being, I'll be messing about in the woods around Bennachie, relearning and trying out all the woodcraft techniques again

That's it...I've said a mouthful

Take care oot there

DM

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 56522

Hello y'all

A brief profile then:
My name is Dingus Magee and I live in Darkest Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
I'm central belt, but was up in Aberdeenshire visiting my wife's relatives a couple of weekends ago.

I've been looking for the bottom bit of a deer antler for stone knapping (30-40cm long). There are some online at around £50 (postage included). Do you know where I can get them cheaper? I am also interested in some deer skins, but I bet the price is shocking.

DingusMagee

Apr 4, 2022
Darkest Aberdeenshire
Good grief man! I'd be able to make a fortune then....I was making sticks for a while as a way to supplement the crap wages of a ghillie, and have a few odds and ends lying about. I'm assuming that you need the brow tine and a length of the shaft for a handle, aye? Can't help with the deer pelts now though....and I guess they might be a little deer hahaha! (Sorry...I'll see myself out)
Regarding the skins, you might look up Tandy for a price. I bought a full cow hide from them once to make tankards, a guitar strap, moccasins and such. Wasn't prohibitively expensive, as I recall
I can help you with the antler though, so give me an idea of when you'll be up in this neck of the woods again. Alternatively, I often take the mo'bike down your way on route to various adventures, so could arrange to meet somewhere.

D

Deleted member 56522

Good grief man! I'd be able to make a fortune then....I was making sticks for a while as a way to supplement the crap wages of a ghillie, and have a few odds and ends lying about. I'm assuming that you need the brow tine and a length of the shaft for a handle, aye? Can't help with the deer pelts now though....and I guess they might be a little deer hahaha! (Sorry...I'll see myself out)
Regarding the skins, you might look up Tandy for a price. I bought a full cow hide from them once to make tankards, a guitar strap, moccasins and such. Wasn't prohibitively expensive, as I recall
I can help you with the antler though, so give me an idea of when you'll be up in this neck of the woods again. Alternatively, I often take the mo'bike down your way on route to various adventures, so could arrange to meet somewhere.
Deer deer! LOL!

From an online video, the tool being used was the "knobbly bit" that goes on the head which I assume is the brow tine and I just need something to hold to swing it.

I'm really looking for a fresh pelt ... to dry with no processing ... which should make it as stiff as cardboard (well that's what I want to find out). I suppose I was hoping they were thrown away, but that was naive. The ideal would be a complete carcass so I could try out some stone tools as well.

Unfortunately, we've just done the great tour post covid (one of which is an ex ghillie) so we don't have any plans to come up. I live not far from where the M80 meets the M73.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Hello y'all

I was a member of this forum many moons ago, and for various reasons had let my subscription slip. Here I am again then and looking forward to joining the community once more

A brief profile then:
My name is Dingus Magee and I live in Darkest Aberdeenshire, Scotland. I have been fortunate enough to have had many jobs in the forests and mountains of Scotland, among them: forestry and fencing contractor, ecological consultant/biological surveyor, stableman/groom, work on various highland estates as a pony ghillie and most recently D of E Expedition Assessor and freelance mountain leader

For various health reasons I am unable to get onto Scotland's mountains anymore and have to seek my mountain fix in the Pyrenees and Sierra Nevada ranges in Spain, where it is much warmer. I can, however, still get out and about in the woods and forests around about where I live, and I'm looking forward to getting out there. I went to a couple of the moots and also enjoyed a couple of bush craft weekends with some local guys and learnt quite a bit from them. Then life took one of those sudden change in direction...but here I am again. For the time being, I'll be messing about in the woods around Bennachie, relearning and trying out all the woodcraft techiques again

That's it...I've said a mouthful

Take care oot there

DM
Foor’re ye deein!
most folk I know who work outside are riddled with health issues, yet we plod on because it’s in our blood..
Makes one wonder why Neolithic man seldom reached his 40th if he was lucky.

DingusMagee

Apr 4, 2022
Darkest Aberdeenshire
The brow tine is the point that comes out above the coronet. the coronet is formed when the antler starts to grow from the skull, almost immediately after the old antlers are shed (usually late Spring). So working up from the coronet, then, projecting from the beam, are the brow, the bez and the trez; usually after that the beam forms a crown...yadda yadda yadda. I guess you want the coronet for the hammer head and the beam for the handle; the coronet and brow tine are most commonly used for making a stalking cromach. I should have some kicking around in the garage, but the best, and heaviest, ones were used for sticks. You can have one or two of the better ones; the dogs will be getting them as chews otherwise. And, just as a thought...around Easter is a good time to look for dropped antlers, most commonly found where the estate has been giving supplementary feed in winter. Don't take too many, as the hinds rely on these as a source of phosphorus and other minerals prior to lactation

DingusMagee

Apr 4, 2022
Darkest Aberdeenshire
Foor’re ye deein!
most folk I know who work outside are riddled with health issues, yet we plod on because it’s in our blood..
Makes one wonder why Neolithic man seldom reached his 40th if he was lucky.
Aye aye min! Fit like? Aye, a ken...craalin through the hedder aifter a beast was a prime wye to get ticks...and Lyme disease. Ane o' the side effects of Lyme disease can be neuralgia....chronic in my case

• Wow
Reactions: swyn

DingusMagee

Apr 4, 2022
Darkest Aberdeenshire
Deer deer! LOL!

From an online video, the tool being used was the "knobbly bit" that goes on the head which I assume is the brow tine and I just need something to hold to swing it.

I'm really looking for a fresh pelt ... to dry with no processing ... which should make it as stiff as cardboard (well that's what I want to find out). I suppose I was hoping they were thrown away, but that was naive. The ideal would be a complete carcass so I could try out some stone tools as well.

Unfortunately, we've just done the great tour post covid (one of which is an ex ghillie) so we don't have any plans to come up. I live not far from where the M80 meets the M73.
no, the bit I think you'll be needing will be the coronet; that's the bit that's knobbly. No matter as you'll see what I mean when we meet

Right....I dinna take the bike out until all vestiges of road salt have been washed away, and little chance of further snow...about August probably hahahaha. No, seriously, we're looking at around late April-early May. I'll let you know when I plan to ride south, and don't be shy about reminding me. Could probably meet at some service station hub off the motorway; you'll know the lie of the land there better than I

Cheers for now ;)

D

Deleted member 56522

we're looking at around late April-early May. I'll let you know when I plan to ride south, and don't be shy about reminding me. Could probably meet at some service station hub off the motorway; you'll know the lie of the land there better than I

Cheers for now ;)
That'll be great! I'll talk to you closer the time about where to meet.

Reactions: DingusMagee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE