Restored an old chisel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello found this beauty at a flea market. It is quite large and the smithing quality I like. No idea how old it can be. Took some hours to fix but it is all worth it :). The handle is from a broken oak chair I salvaged probably +5 years ago.

Before:
2zswj0o.jpg

After:
msvmo.jpg

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Does it have a manufacturers name stamped on it anywhere?

I have Robert Sorby, Marples (Rocket lolly and also wood handled), T Althamson of Penrith, Stormont, Ibbotson ,Henry Taylor and a german manufacturer with a raging bull logo that I can't remember right now.

My local secondhand toolseller often has them in and at a quid a pop I can't resist, plus a very generous customer of mine kindly gave me a good selection of her now dead fathers Marples chisels (amongst various other tools) which I sharpened on a mates Tormek and am now trying to do justice to by using whenever I get the chance.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
it is marked "SS" with deep letters stamped. Bought it in northern Sweden.

I'm not familiar with that mark but that doesn't reflect badly on it. Just means I don't know the manufacturer. Most I seem to see over here have Cast Steel marked on them which just means its one of the many small crucible tool steels.

When I was over in Normandy a while ago there were quite a few Peugeot (as in the car manufacturer) chisels at the many Sunday markets. Meant to buy one but never got round to it.

I have a few that I've put fresh (bought in) handles onto and its a bit of a faff getting that central hole perfectly aligned so the chisel is good and straight.
I ended up getting a mate with a lathe to put the handle in the chuck and the pilot drill bit into the tailstock to get them nice and straight.
Personally unless its a paring chisel (should be use by hand and not struck even with a mallet) I usually put the mortice chisel handles with the metal striking end hoop on them but that's because I'm a site carpenter and I just can't be done with wooden mallets.
If I was a bench joiner in a workshop and even had a mallet I'd possibly use the London pattern ones with the octagonal handles that stop them from rolling off the bench.

Aug 21, 2015
London
www.acsilver.co.uk
That's really one amazing restoration! You did a really good job getting it all spruced up with the new handle. Here's an idea though! After reading through the comments, I had this crazy idea of what it would be like to carve into that new handle and give it a little bit of an antiqued look!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE