Resin for filework

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Does anyone know where i can get some resin for some file work i'm doing on a knife, black at the moment but i will need some colours if it goes ok.

Mark :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The home made black stuff, pitch and charcoal, can't be coloured but if you clarify resin using turpentine and then heat it gently and add in some, believe it or not, lipstick and talc you will get coloured resin :D You can add powdered glass or coloured earths, too, to get other colours.

Is this the stuff you meant?

cheers,
Toddy

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
oh my !
I'me not sure, i have seen some knives with filework on them and to make the work stand out against the scales a "resin" is used. Thats all i know for now. :dunno:

Mark

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
coloured epoxy I think - I've heard people useing laser / photocopier toner mixed in as well as posterpaint for other colours

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have used some quick setting two tube epoxy, and mixed some black powder obtained by rubbing a 4H pencil on very fine sandpaper! Worked well because I was using a dark wood for the scales. It produces a very dark grey rather than black. You could hardly tell it was there and makes the file work stand out beautifully. Be careful not to introduce air bubble in the mix by stirring too fast!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I use the same epoxy that I glue the handle together with and put a little dry powder pigment in(powder paint from a model shop). If I'm doing a seperate contrasting inlay (instead of infilling the filework when the handle gets stuck together) then I use clear epoxy but if it sets too quick you may have bubble problems ;)

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
:) Cheers guys, does it work with liquid paint or is it a dry powder thing. Il try each way.
Thanks........:You_Rock_

Mark

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I don't think you should mix epoxy with a liquid paint. Epoxy hardens by curing, the paint will harden by evaporation...

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
depends on the liquid. It does work with spirit based ink, but it slows the setting time down a great deal and I can't remember how hte durability is. The liquid really wants to evaporate before the glue starts to go coz any water will impare the chemical reaction that sets the glue (hence why I used to swear if a drip fell from the old tin roof onto my resin :mad: )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE