Repairing Gore Tex bivi bag seam tape?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I just discovered the main seams tape and a few other little tape sections on myBritish army bivi bag have come away and dried out (gone crusty)..

Is there anyway I can fix the tape back down myself? any glues or products I can get online/in store?

Bit of a bummer really as I was using it earlier but came back home after discovering it and not wanting to worsen it..:(

These are pictures I took of the seams a few minutes ago, hope this helps with any suggestions or advice.

DSCF1219.jpg

DSCF1223.jpg

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hey matey, please don't take this as narky, it's not meant that way, just type seam tape into the search box, there are lots of threads with tips and advice that pop straight up.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I did check it out but don't find the search bar particularly usefull at times.

Some threads mention sealant glues that can be used to stick the old tape back down, anyone know a specific glue I can look into?

or would it be better to get the iron on sealants?

I have looked around but I can't help but get confused with all the options.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Hi,
Try three layer seam tape [iron on, low wool setting] from
http://www.profabrics.co.uk/
search for "Accessories >> Seam Sealing and Waterproofing"
some places also do the single layer stuff, which is cheaper, but cannot find a link
Hope this helps
regards
stu

thanks mate! that helps alot, will the low setting damaged the gore tex at all?

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi
No it wont damage the gore tex, some people use it to repair rips in goretex clothing. put the iron on a low wool setting [test on edge if worried] and using the tip of the iron just hold it onto the tape for 3-4 seconds, till you see a flash of glue on either side of the tape, then move to the next section
ps just notice they also do the single layer stuff, from photo of your bivi it looks like three layer
hope this helps
regards
stu

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Hi
No it wont damage the gore tex, some people use it to repair rips in goretex clothing. put the iron on a low wool setting [test on edge if worried] and using the tip of the iron just hold it onto the tape for 3-4 seconds, till you see a flash of glue on either side of the tape, then move to the next section
ps just notice they also do the single layer stuff, from photo of your bivi it looks like three layer
hope this helps
regards
stu

quite a few parts if not msot need replacing actualy..

is this place reliable and decent? or should I go elsewhere?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Hi
I have ordered quite a few bits from them over the years and never had a problem, but if they are having a busy spell it can take about week for the stuff to arrive, other than that i have always found them reliable
regards
stu
PS these do the singe layer tape
http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/catalogue.asp?sID=12

ah ok, what are the layers referring to? the thickness of the tape?

what do you think would be easier/better, new tape or sealing the old ones back with the glues they offer?

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi
the single layer stuff is just plastic with hot melt glue on one side, the three layer stuff is gortex type material and gives much stronger repair
if its gone in quite a few places, i would probable change the lot, as other areas are likly to come lose over time. do the lot in one go and you know its sorted
regards
stu

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
ok sounds pretty simple, thanks for the advice mate!

I'll do some ordering tomorrow and get it all fixed up!

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Samon

If it was just a small area of seam I would suggest using Mcnetts Seamsure to glue it back down, but as it sounds like a lot, if not all of the seam tape needs doing, I would go with the replacement option.

If you can use an iron, you can fit the new tape. It really is simple to do.

Regards

Phill

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'm not particularly experienced with an iron but the wife is so with any luck the 3 layer seam tape I just ordered will fix it up by next Friday!

Cheers for the advice fellas!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
well I've got the fresh tape coming in the post now but if superglue doesn't damage the fabric that's usefull to know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE