Removing smell of smoke from leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Just scored a really great leather satchel from the Bay. Needs a bit of tlc on the stitching etc which is no problem, but it reeks of cig smoke.

The outside surfaces are polished hide, but all the inner compartments are raw/skin leather.

I've given the outside a few washes with saddle soap which has helped. I'm planning to give it some neatsfoot oil then a good waxing on the outside.

Any suggestions on how I can get rid of the cig smoke pong? - especially on the inside surfaces

Many thanks in anticipation

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Thanks - looks (and probably smells) interesting!

Looks as if it might be good for the outside for sure..........would like some ideas for the inside too.

I want to use the bag for work, to carry papers books etc, so don't want to use anything on the inside which might leave grease marks.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The best thing to remove odors (any odors) is baking soda. Carpet freshener will also work (as it's mainly made of scented baking soda) Just sprinkle it on liberally and let it set long enough to absorb the odors then brush/wipe it off. As leather is permeable and smoke is pretty adhesive, it may take two or three applications. Then just let it air out.

Oh. Be sure to do this (or whatever odor removal you use) before you do any polishing or treating with wet products. They'll likely seal in any odors.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Peel two good-sized onions and cut them in half; put the four halves with the bag into a poly bin bag and seal it up, leave for a few days, and the onion will take up all the smoke odour - job done!

This works really well for all sorts of things like food smells in fridges etc.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Peel two good-sized onions and cut them in half; put the four halves with the bag into a poly bin bag and seal it up, leave for a few days, and the onion will take up all the smoke odour - job done!

This works really well for all sorts of things like food smells in fridges etc.

LOL. The fridge is where I first got the idea for the baking soda; oddly enough, to take up the odor of onion among others.

Didgeridoohan

Tenderfoot
Not quite sure of the english name for "ättika" (any of you swedish-speaking people out there, help me out), but I think it's white vinegar.

Spray some white vinegar on the leather and it should remove the odor. You could also leave a small container (open) with white vinegar inside the bag for a few days.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
"If" you can get the bag wet (some leather's are fine, some aren't) then some of the liquid meant to clean carpets with a machine (Bissel type stuff) will work very well indeed at removing odours. The liquid comes in two forms, one that clearly says that it contains bleaching agents and one that doesn't. The one that doesn't is probably the one you want.....Home Bargains had big bottles for a fiver recently (rrp is £20+) but I think I saw the small ones in Tesco not so long ago.
Works to clear smell from the washing machine too :D

Depends on your leather though...... :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Some great ideas there - many thanks! Really appreciated!

Am going to order some of the Bear Cream for sure.........

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
The best thing to remove odors (any odors) is baking soda. Carpet freshener will also work (as it's mainly made of scented baking soda) Just sprinkle it on liberally and let it set long enough to absorb the odors then brush/wipe it off. As leather is permeable and smoke is pretty adhesive, it may take two or three applications. Then just let it air out.

Oh. Be sure to do this (or whatever odor removal you use) before you do any polishing or treating with wet products. They'll likely seal in any odors.

Another vote for baking soda here but with one caveat.

I wouldn't sprinkle the baking soda on the item. Here's what I do,

1, Find a suitble sized container to COMPLETELY enclose the item. Tupperware, action packer, bin bag. etc

2, Place the item in the bag/box with a fresh box of baking soda tipped out into a shallow container (increase surface area of the soda) and put that in the bag/box and seal it up place it in a warn place where it can sit for a few days without being disturbed. Come back after a couple of days and you should find the stink has gone, if not leave it a bit longer. It's never failed to work for me.:)

I don't know what effect the soda might have on the item so that's why I keep them apart. I know baking soda with craze some resins and vinyls.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Another vote for baking soda here but with one caveat.

I wouldn't sprinkle the baking soda on the item. Here's what I do,

1, Find a suitble sized container to COMPLETELY enclose the item. Tupperware, action packer, bin bag. etc

2, Place the item in the bag/box with a fresh box of baking soda tipped out into a shallow container (increase surface area of the soda) and put that in the bag/box and seal it up place it in a warn place where it can sit for a few days without being disturbed. Come back after a couple of days and you should find the stink has gone, if not leave it a bit longer. It's never failed to work for me.:)

I don't know what effect the soda might have on the item so that's why I keep them apart. I know baking soda with craze some resins and vinyls.

I like this idea!

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I like this idea!

Learned from years of buying tat from e-bay:)

One thing I didn't mention is that the warmer (within reason) the better I used to store my de-ponging models in the airing cupboard. The warmth will release the odor molecules from the fabric/surface. Sadly the heavier the stick the longer it can take.

After about 4 days if there's any odor left carefully stir the surface of the soda to expose fresh baking soda and seal it up again.

On extreme stinks you might need to replace the soda with fresh after about a week or two. I once bought a long out of print model from e-bay that smelled like the inside of an industrial grade ash tray.:yuck: The smell hit me as soon as I opened the box. It took two weeks and three boxes of soda but it came clean in the end.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Many thanks for the suggestions ........

Just checking - what is known as baking soda in the USA is called bicarbonate of soda in the UK ?????

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I've been using bear cream for some time and I like it - and the comments it always draws.

I don't know if this will float anyones boat but I got to pick up some Lundhags leder gris at Nordic Outdoors at Scone; it seems exactly the same but with a slightly milder smell and more beeswax.

Win win for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE